close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Circle Hooks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Some of you guys told me about circle hooks at the other place.Started using them for cats and love them.My question is,i use nite crawlers for cats and hookup with carp now and then.How do circle hooks work on carp.

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I often wondered this myself. Theoretically they should work the same, but because the carps mouth shape is slightly different it might not work at all. Next time I'm fishing somewhere where I am getting into a lot of carp, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

They work great guys, we catch them all the time at CJ Brown, they are hooked right in the corner usually after they bolt off with cut Shad, I'm using 6/0 circles but they have taken the 8/0 also.........Doc

4. am I the only person that HATES circle hooks? I've got one fish on them and it was really easy to get off, but I've missed SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fish all the times I've tried circles. My partner is the same way as me

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Polesnatcher,

I cant seem to get use dto them either. I wish I could, but I just cant seem to be pateint enough to learn how to use them correctly.

6. me and my buddies have some real small circles that are either 2/0 or 3/0 that we use on carp all the time. They work just about every time.

7. Circle hooks would be a poor carp hook particularly for the biggest carp. The biggest carp, say 20 lbs. and up, need to be hooked in the hard cartilage in the back of the throat otherwise one runs the risk of having the hook tear out when hooked in the lips. This is why the hair rig was developed. Not saying big, lip hooked carp are never landed but more are lost when lip hooked.
    When using circle hooks one must remember not to set the hook. The hook basically sets itself when the fish turns away with the bait and the hook pivots in the corner of the mouth.
    Not saying they don't work for carp but I've yet to see circle hooks recommended for carp anywhere although they are excellent for cats and many other species as well when using live bait.

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Personally I love Circle hooks I have missed just as many carp on circle hooks as regular hooks. Same goes with Catfish.
    When I first started trying out circle hooks PoleSnatcher, I was the same way. Hated them! But the reason I hated them was because I was so used to setting the hook, that I would rip the bait right out of the fish's mouth. I often use one pole with a circle hook and one with a regular hook. Needless to say, I sometimes don't realize which hook is on which rod. Then set away only to miss a fish. Anywho, I love Circle hooks. I have been told I only like them cuz it is the lazy way out of catching a fish, but I think I get a heck of a lot better hookups than with regular hooks. Good luck to you all!

9. Since my favorite carp spot has been shut down I rarely carp any more, not that I did a whole lot of carpin' anyway, at least in comparison to other species. However, I've landed a few in the 'Trident' class on hair rigs having lost several using trebles when trying to turn them from cover. The hooks simply ripped out of their lips. I first was exposed to hair rigs via In-Fish many years ago. If you have't used them you may want to give them a try. Some day you'll hook that sub and your chances of landing it will be much better with a hair rig. A search under hair rigs will turn up several applications- boillies, corn, 'hoppers, crawlers, etc. Check 'em out.