Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I know that circle hooks keep the fish from getting gut hooked, but do any of you find that your hookups are less frequent? I know that with circle hooks you are not supposed to set the hook, but it just seems that whenever I use them I miss about 75% of all my runs fishing for catfish. Using octopus hooks usually results in about 90% clean hookups for me.

Unless your main goal is to release the fish unharmed, I just don't see the point of using them.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
There is a time and place for circles, live bait I suggest the J hooks, fishing off a boat in a fixed or drifting position, nothing better then circles. If your letting fish run and then engaging the reel, it wont work as well as just engaging the reel and putting the rod into a very well set rod holder ( IE Fixed on a boat) Tightline and wait until the rod bounces 2-3 times with steady pressure, ( experience will help your hookset ratio with this part of the deal) When the bite is good and hard, youll hook every channel that hits, when the bite is non aggressive or they are just pecking at the bait, best to switch off to J hooks and try to set the hook by feel. I enjoy my circles from bank and by boat and I have gotten much better about the ratio of hooking over time. I really learned by watching Dinkbuster and Mellon go through the learning curve ahead of me and they were able to help me with my patience in when to set the hook.

Salmonid

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
i never fished with circle hooks til this year and WOW! i have lost maybe 2 out of 80 fish. i will only use 5/0 cirlcle hooks for channels always..the way i do it is i set my drag super low so it just runs til i tighten the drag and reel it in. CIRLE HOOKS FOR LIFE!

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
There is a time and place for circles, live bait I suggest the J hooks, fishing off a boat in a fixed or drifting position, nothing better then circles. If your letting fish run and then engaging the reel, it wont work as well as just engaging the reel and putting the rod into a very well set rod holder ( IE Fixed on a boat) Tightline and wait until the rod bounces 2-3 times with steady pressure, ( experience will help your hookset ratio with this part of the deal) When the bite is good and hard, youll hook every channel that hits, when the bite is non aggressive or they are just pecking at the bait, best to switch off to J hooks and try to set the hook by feel. I enjoy my circles from bank and by boat and I have gotten much better about the ratio of hooking over time. I really learned by watching Dinkbuster and Mellon go through the learning curve ahead of me and they were able to help me with my patience in when to set the hook.

Salmonid
Couldn't have said it any better. Mark covered everything i was gonna say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts