Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I know that giving out hot spots and honey holes is an unwritten rule. This is my first year of fishing on a regular basis (Started fishing multiple times a week in March) and my first fall fishing for anything other than Catfish. I've been all over the Cincinnati area and I've compiled a list of my results from March-October with 1-10 ratings. 1 being awful and 10 being awesome

Ponds/Lakes
  • Triple Creek- 3 LMB 6 Chanel Cats 3/10
  • Marsh Lake- 1LMB 1 Catfish 1/10- This place is over fished
  • Winton Woods- Skunked in 3 trips 1/10
  • Premier Gun Range West Chester- Caught a giant softshell turtle not much else. 1.5/10
  • Private Pond Liberty Township- Too many catfish and dink bass to count. Biggest Cat was 7 pounds. 7/10
  • Mounts Park Morrow- 1LMB 2 Snapping Turtles. 3/10
  • Lake Julie Ann Paylake- Went with my Dad. Skunked. WAY WAY WAY too many people. 1/10
  • Neighborhood Pond Fairfield- 1LMB and 1 Channel Cat. Caught by PB LMB here (6lbs). All other trips have produced no fish. 4/10
  • Gilmore Ponds- Skunked. Felt like I was in a Louisianna bayou. Mosquito infested swamp. 1/10
  • Caesars Creek- Skunked. Too many boats. Only went once so I can't give a rating.
  • East Fork Spillway- Awesome. Tons of Catfish and giant carp. 10/10
Rivers Creeks and Streams

• Heritage Park Colerain GMR- I have caught 5 Gar here. Nothing else. It's very weird. 5/10.
  • 4 Mile Creek St Clair- Great fishing. Too many smallies to count, a few nice cats. My go-to fishing spot when I want to catch something. Too many people with cast nets though. 9/10
  • Indian Creek Park Oxford- A few decent sized creek smallies. Very limited fishing. Beautiful scenery and landscape make this rating higher. 5/10.
  • Joyce Park Fairfield GMR- I have caught nothing but freshwater drum here. 4/10.
  • Hamilton Dam River Road GMR- I've caught some carp and a few smallies. The people that go here make this rating lower. Kinda sketchy. 4/10.
  • Indian Creek Ross- Dink Zone. 3/10
  • Little Miami River Peters Cartridge- Caught a brook trout here. I also caught a TON of turtles. 4/10 too many turtles.
  • Dravo Park Colerain GMR- Skunked. Lots of non-fisherman. I feel like I wasn't fishing the correct presentation here. No rating.
  • Olentangy River Columbus Ohio- DO NOT FISH THIS RIVER. Dirty, homeless people everywhere, needles. The absolute worst. -100000/10
  • Fernbank Park Sayler Park Ohio River- Skunked. Lots of snags. I did get to meet a beaver and it has beautiful scenery.
As you can see. I love fishing and I really want to explore more places. I leave nothing but footprints and I am quiet/clean and respectful. If anyone has any places or spots I should try.. Please send me a PM. I promise to not give out any sensitive information and will respect all laws. I am a Navy vet who is also strictly a bank fisherman.

Thanks Everyone! Tight lines!

Bigcarp.jpg
Drum.jpg
Garr.jpg
Lilcat.jpg
Mirror.jpg
PBsmalls.jpg
View attachment 324707
Sorecat.jpg
Sun.jpg
supersmall.jpg

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Little Miami River Peters Cartridge- Caught a brook trout here
I doubt that there are many brookies in any stretch of the Lmr :rolleyes:
Sounds like you did a lot of fishing and had plenty of fun and sounds like we probably crossed paths a few times.
Good luck and good fishing !

·
Registered
33 Posts
looks like you have been all over. great list. Have you tried the Mill creek at all? Its a place that I have always wanted to try just never get around to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like you have been all over. great list. Have you tried the Mill creek at all? Its a place that I have always wanted to try just never get around to it.

I haven't tried Mill Creek yet. Any good spots to park my truck?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I like that you acknowledge how naming specific spots is uncool and then proceed to do it anyways lol.

You can park at Salway and go through the gate down to the Mill Creek, but be warned, it’s polluted and filled with trash. There ARE fish there however and since no one fishes it, it’s an often overlooked resource. Plenty of enormous carp, buffalo, even some smallies, and white bass/wipers make it up to the first low head dam (just upstream from the I-74 bridge on Spring Grove, in Northside). The sewage runoff keeps a lot of people away though. Rinse off your gear after, don’t wade with open sores, and don’t touch your mouth or face while you are there. The reason I name this spot is because I sincerely believe this isn’t anyone’s honey hole, and if you can make it work for you, more power to you.

Also, I’m going to need to see picture proof of that Little Miami brook trout lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that you acknowledge how naming specific spots is uncool and then proceed to do it anyways lol.

You can park at Salway and go through the gate down to the Mill Creek, but be warned, it’s polluted and filled with trash. There ARE fish there however and since no one fishes it, it’s an often overlooked resource. Plenty of enormous carp, buffalo, even some smallies, and white bass/wipers make it up to the first low head dam (just upstream from the I-74 bridge on Spring Grove, in Northside). The sewage runoff keeps a lot of people away though. Rinse off your gear after, don’t wade with open sores, and don’t touch your mouth or face while you are there. The reason I name this spot is because I sincerely believe this isn’t anyone’s honey hole, and if you can make it work for you, more power to you.

Also, I’m going to need to see picture proof of that Little Miami brook trout lol.

Well, I mean the spots I named are super generic and public places. The private ponds/neighborhood ponds I just gave a general area. I was speaking more to very specific spots. I do not have a picture as with all "Fish tales" My phone was dead. It may have not been a Broolk Trout. It was a long gray spotted fish with a VERY distinct orange belly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they could fix the raw sewage overflow problem this would actually be a decent stream. Thats a big if.
Yeah that's gonna be a no from me. I don't' care if it's the best fishing in the world. The only Corn I want to see is the corn I bring! :eek:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
They are fixing it slowly but surely. The West Fork Program just built some detention basins in Northside to lessen sewer overflow in to the creek, and they are daylighting Lick Run in South Fairmount. There is an EPA mandated the city to fix the sewage problems but funding is slow and hard to come by.

·
Great Cycle Challenge Team OGF
3,775 Posts
Nice write up and pics. I agree with a lot of your statements. Fern bank is hit or miss, you have to find the edges of the old lock wall and current helps too. Even then it was mostly gar bites.

They are also cleaning up Muddy creek on the west side. Some sort of sewage plant just went in, now to fix the cracked pipes downstream and kill the other CSOs.

·
Great Cycle Challenge Team OGF
3,775 Posts
Oh and if you are catching drum only, switch up your bait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts