cincinnati area fishing first week of May

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by FishlessAgain, Feb 26, 2008.

1. FishlessAgain

FishlessAgain One Major Lurker

I have a week long training schedule in may for work. Was thinking of trying to fish the Ohio river for for my first time after class a couple nights. I was wondering if anyone could point me into the right direction so I could do some research of places to fish in the area and what might be the hot bite for the time of year. Thanks ahead of time.

Fishlessagain

2. farmboy

farmboy gone fishing

fish from boat or bank. it will make a difference what you fish for. from the bank mostly cats but not sure of many places to fish from at cincy area. from boat just about any thing you want to target , bass large & small mouth. cats, flat, blues, channel. also stripier and white bass and sager and walleye. so you see you need to decide what you are equipped for to decide what to fish for .for that time of year if the rivers right fishing will be good.

3. A good place to start is the Ky. side in a hole just west of the railroad bridge west of the I 75 bridge. It can hold very large cats, that is all I fish the Ohio for so far. I know lots of other places but this is a really good place to start.

4. :F If your class is in downtown Cincinnati and you have a car there are anumber of spots to fish from the bank. The public Landing & serpentine wall area is the quickest spot to hit, for it is right by the Baseball park. When fishin g the Serpentine Wall you have to tie down your rod, for it is 14 ft deep right off the wall. Catfish have taken guys gear right off the ledge in a hart beat. The Landing is a more normal slope from the bank so you can just prop up a rod. There are more snags in that area however. If you are here in late May the personal boat traffic can be busy in the evening. We have all 3 types of Catfish right in this part of the Ohio river so can have a chance of getting anyone . Baits it may be easier to get to the local Kroger store and get some Shrimp. Check out my fishing site I have a page about bank fishing downtown Cincinnati with photos of the places I mentioned here. If the river is around 28ft or lower than fishing from the bank can work. Once the river gets higher the current is just too strong for bank fishing downtown. I hope this help Check back when you can in late april to see where your trainging classes will be held etc. The cats are here to be hooked.

5. FishlessAgain

FishlessAgain One Major Lurker

Thanks all. It will probably be bank fishing, all I have is small reservoir boat with a 7.5 hp on it not sure how it would do on the river. Thanks again

6. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

If you want some wiper action head to the Meldahl and throw some slab spoons. Hard to beat the bite and fight of those ferocious fish. Plenty of white bass and a few saugeye as well. Cat people fishing the bank as well. Stop by the gas station on the left of Ky 9(AA Highway) and they usually have some slab spoons. Just take heavy gear. Good Luck!