close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cicadas!!!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishingredhawk, May 19, 2004.

1. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

The cicadas started hatching today. I was landscaping in Dublin, off of Dublin road, and was weed-eating some bushes when I noticed locust shells ALL OVER the ground. Then I looked into the bushes and trees and saw literally hundreds and hundreds of them. They were metamorphasizing right then. Some were flying, but most looked wet and were resting in the trees and bushes. They are a bright greenish-brownish color with bright red eyes. Pretty cool. But the weird thing is that I have a woods in my backyard in Dublin and just checked for Cicadas and didn't find any, but saw many of the grub holes in the ground. Just bought a couple of Argobast Hocust Locusts at Bass Pro, as recommended by Bassmaster last month. Just thought I would let you all know!

2. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

Yeah I heard that Minerva Park is infested with them.

3. I took the two kids to Minerva Park. The place is covered with cicadas and the sunfish are gorging themselves. We caught plenty of sunfish. All of the fish were ~4 - 6" but are obviously eating well this week. Everone of them had a fat gut. I saw a couple large carp but they did not seem to be actively eating the bugs as they landed on the water.

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

i heard the cicadas at alum today at the boat ramp you could diffinitly hear them.

5. at Alum this evening. I saw one largemouth cruising and eating them.

6. gator and I were catching lg mouth that were eating shad...under the swimming cicadas at alum sun afternoon. They're BACK! hopefully those big post spawn bass can gain back some of that weight they lost spawning. I caught a 20inch bass that weighed 2.95lbs. Looked like it should've weighed 3 1/2 a week or two ago.

7. Went To Hoover On Friday And Saw A Ton Of Them In The Trees And Falling Into The Water..didnt See Anything But Bluegill Feeding On Them For Sure, But Definately Saw Fish Feeding On Them....just Couldnt Tell What They Were....except For The Bluegill.....eye

8. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

Are the bugs good or bad? I think the are kind of a pain in the a$s but they could be a buffet for the fish we all love to catch. I see that as a good thing ,make the fish fat.

9. Just speculation, but with the high water this year and the Cicadas increasing (hopefully) the natural forage base, this could be good year class for the future.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good possibility for several reasons.
    This is my take on it, the fish will have plenty to eat, they will leave the shad, minnows alone, or at least won't eat as many as their diet will have lots of cicadas. Okay, so we have lots of fat fish going into winter & a good spawn for them, also we'll have an abundance of baitfish surviving, also having a good spawn due to their increased numbers. This will allow the new gamefish more to eat, at least for next year.
    It will be interesting to see how it actually plays out, as weather has alot to do with the actual spawns I think. {Floods, current and water levels (rising & dropping) & temps}
    All the fish should benifit from the cicada food supply, birds too. :rolleyes: