close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cicada question-Answered!!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jb525, May 27, 2004.

1. Hey Guys, I saw a few questions on here about cicada's for bait, so I thougt I'd check it out in my pond. At first the bluegill were all over em with a few bass thrown in but within five minutes the catfish were all over em, pushing the other fish out of the area and I mean all over them. It was like throwin candy to a pack of two year olds. I tried this three times, early am/noon/pm didn't make a difference, I also might mention I feed my fish at least three times a week and usually feed around 6pm because the catfish prefer it and usually will not respond any earlier than 4pm, but the cicada's sure get up anytime! Hope this helps. JB

2. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Man, now if I could just find some. We haven't seen or heard a single one near our house yet!

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Sounds like a great pond you have!

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Fastlane come on over to my place, you could get a bucket full :D

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

We have not seen any either. :confused:

6. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Seth, when I was a kid, we lived right down the road from where you live now and I remember them back then. Funny that we don't have them around here now.

7. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

None here either. :confused:

8. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

None at my house, Lynn's brother lives out at the UpperValley mall and his place is covered with them, those things make more noise when the sun gets up, my shop has a woods right behind and they are thick, we keep having to clean the intake screens for the water towers because those guys get in there and clog them up, also the fresh air exchange fans keep having to clean them also, makes it very interesting, glad they don't bite as they will drive you crazy when they get up inside your shirt, just a big pretty bug that makes a lot of noise, man I would too if I was a larve and ate dirt and tree roots for 17 years, then I get the chance to emerge from the soil, make woopee for a couple of weeks, then die, Man what a way to go.

Amazing watching these things as they get on our curb, single file and follow each other to this one certain tree here at work, and then everybody starts clicking and you just see these females flying everywhere, the birds and the fish are having a hey day with these bugs.

I'm going to gather some of them up for bait this weekend and give them a try.................Doc

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Ater the rain 2 days ago a whole bunch more emerged here yesterday. I think the majority are out now. It's amazing how many there are. I pulled off the ramp at 50W going up Elberon hill, and the dead ones on the ground looked like an elderberry tree, or maple wirly pods. I mentioned I wished I'd had my camera to show them. Also they are flying everwhere & leave a big greasy/waxy spot on your windshield when they hit. ;)

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

We had them up here in NE Ohio 5 years ago. I work at a place right next to the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area and they were everywhere. It sounded like an alien spaceship just over the horizon.
    I suspended a few of them in an ethanol/formaldehyde gel. They will look just as pretty in 12 years from now when their kids come out of the ground.
    If your house or neighborhood has been built in the last 17 years you probably won't have many in the area as they cleared and graded the land with a dozer. The older neighborhoods and woods will have the greatest density.

11. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I have heard that if you pull their wings, their head pops off....... :eek:

12. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

This is very true. The wings attach at the same place as the head so it all comes off in one quick yank. We used to wack the things with wiffle ball bats back in the day...

13. I posted this earlier but got no bites. Anyone have any suggestions on how to preserve these little critters for future (maybe years) Thinking some non flavored oil???? Got freezer full. I'm like a kid in a candy store. After all, it will be 17 more years before I can stock up again. What about you... TimJC. Got anything brewing to keep these succers. Haven"t seen any of your inventions posted lately. Here's one for the wiffel ball. Glue a bunch of cicadas (maybe egg or ????) into a ball and heave out-chuming. Something to break up easily. A giant particle ball. who knows.....