Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Southern Ohio and just found this metro park today. Wow, is it gorgeous! It looks as pretty as a stretch as I've ever seen...reminds me of W.V.. Does anyone know if it holds smallmouth? Also, is it safe to wade? Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!
You'd think there'd be some hawgs in there, but I seen the sign that says raw sewage can overflow after big rains....maybe only wade with waders.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes I would wear waders, I’m no expert on the Cuyahoga River but there are parts of the river close to where you are talking about that hold some pretty decent size pike and larger SM bass , maybe some other members can help with more information

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
There Has been reported contact with steelhead there in Fall thru Spring. There has always been a chance at Northerns in the river as well though mostly From Cuy Falls to Mantua. State is removing more dams in the Cuyahoga drainage so these encounters should become more routine in the future. Much better adversaries in the river than little SM(IMHO!)

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
There Has been reported contact with steelhead there in Fall thru Spring. There has always been a chance at Northerns in the river as well though mostly fro zkent to Mantua. State is removing more dams in the Cuyahoga drainage so these encounters should become more routine in the future. Much better adversary in a river than little SM IMHO!
"Alleged allegations" of steelhead in that section. ;)

Honestly I fished the Hoga exclusively for steelhead for a few years, came back to Ohio and many of my favorite spots in that area were filled in and didnt have the proper depth anymore.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
And i never really "slayed them" up there,you would have to work the right spots hard for them. I just fished it for the peace and solitude away from the crowd up near Erie or the dams. Extremely peaceful in a snowfall with certain sections to yourself and working your seams perfectly. Lost many to Rapids you cant chase them down through down or log jams in that area

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, hard to believe people would destroy a beautiful fishery in this day and age. Especially in a metro park?!
Oh well, we've been in Akron children's for almost 2 weeks, so it was definitely cool to find a nice little slice of country up here for an hour. Something beautiful and relaxing about running a buzzbait across rapids like that, fish or no fish.
Thanks for all the info, fellas!

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Wow, hard to believe people would destroy a beautiful fishery in this day and age. Especially in a metro park?!
Recent immigrants in the neighborhood around that area. Their culture doesn’t understand catch and release.
They fish to eat. It is what it is.
I hope everything is OK being at Akron Children's for 2 weeks.

·
ol' pal Steve
1,324 Posts
That was an incredibly fertile fishery when I used to fish it. I haven't been there regularly for over 15 years but I know people that fish it regularly and it still holds quality pike, 30" plus. I have personally caught several steelhead there and had many days of catching 50+ smallmouth there, but agree that almost all of them are between 6 and 12". I think it's starting to bounce back from the recent exploitations, they just didn't understand that we don't do that here and now that they have been here for a while the culture has adapted. In either case, my dad continues to go there and catch pike and smallies at 84 years old.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Just curious where are these immigrants from?
They're from Nepal/Bhutan. The Bhutanese goverment started kicking out the ethnic group they didn't like. They all went to Nepal and lived in camps for years until the US decided to let them in. They are mostly good people just trying to make a living in a new country. I rent my old house in North Hill to them. They turned half the backyard into a vegetable garden. I don't even recognize what they are growing! My old neighbors tell me stories. They buy live chickens and keep them in the garage. When they are ready to eat them, they kill them and burn the feathers off. They didn't understand the fishing regs and were using nets to catch anything and everything. The division of wildlife did a couple of meetings with them to get them straightened out.

I fished that section for 20 years. Fished it a lot before I got a boat. Great place to get away from the city even if it is still in the city. Just don't fish it after a big rain! Raw sewage will be a flowing! I had many 30+ smallmouth days there. Hooked into some pike and even a few bowfin. Biggest pike was 31". Biggest smallie was 16". Those smallies are a blast on ultralight! The fishing has definitely changed there! No more schools of big carp swimming around in mid-summer. Less smallies. 10 is a good day now. I don't bother to fish for pike there anymore. Caught my 1st walleye in that section just last year. Never caught a channel cat there even though I have drifted a lot of nightcrawlers through those holes! I figure that will change with the Brecksville spillway coming down. Should be a nice influx of new species! I might just head down there later this week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts