chubs???

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Fishaholic69, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I fished this summer and caught lots of um. is this really there real name? just wondered if they had a name other than creek chub? I actually enjoy catching um. made many my skunked days turn into a great day. I have caught some that fight harder than the rock bass I caught.

2. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

They make great bait.:F :D

3. Fishaholic69

not on a flyrod. haha. they make good catches

4. Some chubs that get big have a rainbow coliring to them, there has been quite a few times I thought I had my target fish on, only to see a chub come in, back in the day in the Big walnut my bro and I would catch them all rainbow looking about 16 to18, big ones and they would have horns on there foehead. Ever get them like that?

5. Fishaholic69

I seen some with a rainbow shine but no this is was my 1st year river fishing on a flyrod or basically at all and never caught one bigger than 8 to 10 inches. I have tho stood on the cliff and looked down before I went to fish and seen schools that had some pretty big like you said.

6. I have hooked into my fair share of them, some did have the horns also. Never caught any of real size.

7. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

they squeal sometime too!!! Loads of fun and willing to take a dry

8. Fishaholic69

ya tell me about it. I've casted plenty of times and they attack your indicator too. lol they do make a noise. kinda like a sheephead does. lol. can't wait to use my new 3wt on some chubs and gills in the summer!!

9. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Best way to catch them are on nymphs as it been the best for me. I have a picture of a 16 incher caught on a size 24 BH nymph.

10. I used to live on a farm that has a very small channelized stream that runs between 2 corn fields. It had a good number of Chubs in it. I would at times go down and fish it with a 3wt. The larger chubs do put up a decent fight.

Jeremy

11. u know guys we all look for prize fish like rainbows and trout. but i am happy to catch chubs on a fly. theyre what keeps me from getting skunked. which of the local rivers u think has biggest chubs?

12. i have seen bigger chubs on the mad than anywhere else, get up into parts of Pa and you get fallfish, which i think get over 20in, there just a big chub.

13. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Catching chubs is fun for sure. I bring my fly rod to Chautaqua just for that purpose. Of course, they do end up underneath a balloon attatched to a quick strike musky rig, but still fun to catch the bait. Muskies and pike LOVE chubs.

14. ohh man creek chubs are so much fun i got a creek right niext to my house that fish all the time in their for them the biggest i have got was like 6 and it was huge put up a real good fight too on a flyrod matter of a fact i am goona go after some to mroww if i dont go to miulton dam the best bait i ever use is a little peace of rubber off you twister tail man does that all ways git them but if you want a chance to git them sucks nimphing works good too and like jims said they great bait for muskies pike catfish and walleyes too bass love also

15. Fishaholic69

in my short experience I came to the conclusion that a creek chub will bite just about anything you throw at it.

16. I have to chime in on this one! I just bought a Cabelas 3 Forks 3wt to specificaly target chubs in the crick by my house. I love em. My daughter and I hammer them on corn for fun and they love flies. She caught one with those horns on its head we called "ChubZilla!" I'll post a picture when I get a chance to try out the new rod on the local "rainbow chubs."

17. Fishaholic69

I need to see these horned chubs. that would be crazy

18. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

There is a lot of those Horned chubs down here biggest one so far was about a 13 incher or so. on a ant pattern if I remembered in a hole where it is now filled with concrete next to a low water bridge! Damn hillbillies in WV does nothing but detroy habitats everywhere in WV.:mad:

19. big_fish

big_fish the fish whisperer

the chubs you are speaking about they get the horns when they are spawning/breeding it is not uncommon to see it through out the year when you are unhooking the make a kind of croaking noise in their throat pretty neat and fun to catch:)

20. well lioke i said i was gonna go out to my creek yesterday for them so i did i caught about 16 of them in about a half hour i caught them on single eggs lol but heres a pic of one i caught the bbiggest i had on wa slike 10 inch but fell off on the bank and in the watter[​IMG][​IMG]
    thats where i caught them