Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just a quick question. I have been wanting to use chubs for bait for a long time now, but I have never been too sure on how, where to get them. Any help would be much appreciated. Do they work better than crawdads and bluegill? Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey guys. Just a quick question. I have been wanting to use chubs for bait for a long time now, but I have never been too sure on how, where to get them. Any help would be much appreciated. Do they work better than crawdads and bluegill? Thanks again in advance!
i catch them in small creeks and streams

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
very small hook with crawler or wax worm under small bobber or on bottom with a tiny split shot or no weight look for deeper holes in creeks you should know rather quickly if they are there if not keep moving until you find them.

on working better, all baits have there time to shine out preforming the other let the fish tell you what they want but i would def have them on hand in case that is what they want

·
Those BLASTED darn bass
156 Posts
A fly rod using ants or small bead head nymphs (hook sizes #14-18) works well also.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys! I am probably going to get out sometime this week and give it a shot. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
I used to use chubs for saugeye and catfishing. I bought a minnow trap at Dick's Sporting goods. They look like this. http://www.ladredge.com/Portals/0/Empty minnow trap.png
and put peices of bread inside the minnow trap. The chubs can get in to eat the bread but cannot figure out how to get out. I've caught 40-50 in that trap and they are great bait to use. Almost any small creek or streams have chubs and you can place your trap in them. i'd leave it overnight and pick it up before you go fishing. Beware, chubs can jump completely out of buckets, so have a net or somethign to cover the bucket. I put an aerator in my bucket and left it down in my garage one night and came down the next day to find 10-15 chubs lying dead on the ground. They had jumped out of the bucket. Also, if you go cat fishing, cut their stomachs with a knife and throw them out, cats love them that way. They are also good on pizza, just joking. Good luck

·
Banned
790 Posts
Since no one else has asked, I will.

What are you trying to catch with the chubs? Hard to answer if they work better than crawdads or bluegills without knowing what you're fishing for.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since no one else has asked, I will.

What are you trying to catch with the chubs? Hard to answer if they work better than crawdads or bluegills without knowing what you're fishing for.
Yeah I guess that would have been helpful, I would use them for cats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts