close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

chrysler outboards

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fshnfreak, Apr 1, 2008.

1. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

i am considering a trade for a smaller chrysler out board. my question is since they dont make em anymore how available are the parts?

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Without knowing the details - if it were me, I would pass. Or, I would approach it with the understanding that finding certain parts when/if something happens would likely be difficult and the motor would be only temporary or disposable at a certain point.

FWIW - You can sometimes find parts on ebay and other online resources, but it really depends on the model and a little luck.

3. fshnfreak

well i was kinda just fishin for some info. the guy that has the motor is a local business man he owns a repair shop. he assured me that getting parts isnt a problem but how do i know hes not trying to con me because i noticed he got all hyped up when i told him what i have for trade. i have a 115 johnson on a 16 ft aluminum boat and its way to much motor for the boat so i need to downgrade. i guess maybe im just being paranoid but im always tryin to look out for myself cuz id hate to get screwed on a deal and be stuck with a motor i cant repair. i mean im sure im not alone when i say im kinda on a tight budget. i am not independantly wealthy. so i just wanna make sure hes not screwin me over.

4. I have a 7.5 hp early 60's model (?) clean as a whip that started and ran good 4 years ago when I fired it up. It has major problems and won't shift into gear - forward or reverse. If you decide you want to buy this motor and can use the parts off mine you can have it for nothing - you just have to come pick it up - Springfield, Ohio.

5. Ha - you beat me by a second or two - I guess you won't be needing parts off a little 7.5hp!

6. fshnfreak

well the motor im considering is a 45 hp so i doubt that parts form a 7.5 will help me much but thanks anyway.