Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first walleye caught out of our new boat yesterday out of Geneva. A 30"!! We had a fair day overall....3 guys and 2 fish short of our ticket. The fish mostly came on harnesses behind dipsys and spoons off the rigger. 47 to 55 FOW was the hot depth range. We had fun. All worked smoothly except I forgot to put the Happy Troller plate up and bent it!!! Brand new item too, URRRGGHHH!

·
wishin i was fishin
380 Posts
A 30 incher for your first wally gator in the new rig ~ sweet :D

My buddy has bent a few trolling plates, you can usually bend them back a few times before they crack...

AJ

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
It don't get any sweeter than that! Sounds like you had a great day. Congrats on the boat.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

FishOnAJ - Yeah, I fixed it today...the trolling plate really works wonders on the stern drive, but the remembering to put it up is going to take some getting used to! Any ideas on preventing this sort of thing from happening again would be greatly appreciated too. Maybe a big sign at my wheel!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Paul, I made a trolling plate label and put it right in the middle of my dash as a reminder. Good job on the eyes!!! How do you like fishing off the new boat?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congratulations on the great christening-must be a lucky boat! Sorry to hear about the bent trolling plate-like that has never happened to me :p

Jim

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
My buddys trolling plate is cracking at the top on both sides. He's going to try to bolt some supports to it somehow. Only the second year with it. After fishing with him with the plate and using bags on my boat, I think I'll stick to the bags. I find it hard to steer his boat, especiallly trying to turn in to the wind, seems to take way to long. The plates are convenient though.

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
Great trip!

I think you gave yourself the best reminder! .... I did that with a brand new trolling bag ..... throttle up .... crap! ... The one I forget is to put up the lower unit to trailer.... one of these days its gonna be expensive.... I tell my kids this rule then I forget the rule.... never rush on the boat... thats always when i do something stupid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts