Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Christmas I am going to be looking for probably 2 maybe 3 new rods. What are you recommendations/reviews on what I have listed below? Also open to suggestions for any rods I didnt list.

Looking for a 6’8”-7’2”, medium power, fast action casting rod. Used primarily for bass fishing. Have it narrowed down to:
-BPS Johnny morris platinum series (the red one)
-St. Croix Premier split grip
-St Croix Mojo Bass
-St Croix BassX

Also looking for a 6’0”-6’2”, light power, fast action spinning rod. This will be used for bluegill/crappie/small perch. Also looking for recommendations for reels for this rod. Have it narrowed down to:
-BPS Panfish Elite
-BPS Bionic Blade
-I like the St Croixs but really not wanting to spend $130 on a panfish rod.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I mainly use a St. Croix for panfish but I also have a Diawa Presso ultralight that really feels good casting and fighting fish. They are 2 piece rods (which I normally don’t like) but feel more like a light action. I’m assuming because being 2 piece they are a bit stiffer than a traditional 1 piece UL.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Look at ark rods. The lancer pros are nice if you want to spend and extra couple bucks move up to the randall tharp series. Same rod as there high end rods just a different color and less money

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not a fan of St. Croix. My second pound and half fish snapped the tip off of a mojo bass. Of course they where willing to replace the rod for 80 bucks. Soo, no more of their rods for me. I've had good luck Shimano zodias, phenix rods, okuma, and diawa.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fisherman's warehouse in South Columbus Carry's the acc rods. Might want to call and see what they have in stock first.
Yes not sure about now but this spring was wanting one real bad and they couldn’t get them. I think Josh (brahmabull) waited months to get his in from them. But your right, I need to atleast get one ordered now if that’s what I have to do.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm not a fan of St. Croix. My second pound and half fish snapped the tip off of a mojo bass. Of course they where willing to replace the rod for 80 bucks. Soo, no more of their rods for me. I've had good luck Shimano zodias, phenix rods, okuma, and diawa.
Had the same exact experience with at croix except this was with one of there eyecon series. Never again

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, I know of a couple other people that have had it happen. I think it's the way they do thier rods. It's all backbone and then 12 or so inches of really parabolic tip. Mine broke right at the start of it. I thought thier customer service was terrible too. I just put a new tip on and now have a extra extra fast river beater.

·
Tall Tales Bait and Tackle
433 Posts
Out of all of those that you mention, I will speak to only what we carry in the shop (St. Croix). The St. Croix Mojo line is probably the best value line across all of St Croixs rods. It is a huge step up from the Bass X line. We have almost moved away from all of the Bass X line because when people compare the two side by side, 90% of the time they buy the Mojo rods.

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
If you want ultimate quality, strength and sensitivity I would look at the KISTLER Argon and Helium series. Also DOBYNs makes some nice sticks and has a series to fit most price ranges

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I too have been looking for a decent casting rod. Kinda leary about St Croix. I have some older Triumps, and like them. Ark rods, or possibly Diawa in medium heavy. To go with a Diawa Tatula 100. After using a friend's Tatula, compared to my Lew's.I decided to take the plunge. Not that it's expensive, but just so smooth and easy to use. Some places are short on popular rods and reels, amongst other fishing gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Tons of good rod options out there now. Just picked up a powell to throw some moving baits on and it's amazingly light. Also grabbed an ark invoker for jerkbaits also ridiculously light and sensitive. I've tried in the past to stay with just one brand rod and it's just not going to happen. I now buy what rod has the exact action im looking for. I have everything from g-loomis imx down to some cheapo rod off the rack at Walmart and everything in between. Fisherman's central is having their open house at the end of February. I think it's the 27th and 28th. EVERYTHING in the store will be marked down a certain percentage. I believe rods are 20%

·
grip master
774 Posts
Tons of good rod options out there now. Just picked up a powell to throw some moving baits on and it's amazingly light. Also grabbed an ark invoker for jerkbaits also ridiculously light and sensitive. I've tried in the past to stay with just one brand rod and it's just not going to happen. I now buy what rod has the exact action im looking for. I have everything from g-loomis imx down to some cheapo rod off the rack at Walmart and everything in between. Fisherman's central is having their open house at the end of February. I think it's the 27th and 28th. EVERYTHING in the store will be marked down a certain percentage. I believe rods are 20%
Did you get the 6-10 Med Invoker?
T-W on sale.....Very tempting
Jerk-bait season soon-to-come.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts