Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around getting a 3wt to add to my 5wt & 8wt. I don't want to spend a ton of money because this will be the least used (maybe not) of my rods. The 3 options that I've been considering are the Orvis Clearwater 7'6" ($199) LLBean Streamlight 5'9" ($169) and the LLBean Quest 6'6" ($99).

Anyone have any experience with these? The Streamlight seems to short but I don't know. Am I paying for the Orvis name with the Clearwater or is it a decent rod? Really not worried about the drag on the reel because of the small fish being targeted but what are your thoughts?
Thanks
Jason

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything else except a 4wt fly line which you can use on your 5wt fly rod....that's pretty close to the 3wt you want...if your planning to use it to catch small wild trout on those small creeks and streams...the 4wt on the 5wt rod will work just fine....IMO.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't know much about the LLBean's, but I have an Orvis Clearwater in a 7'6" 5wt and love it. Yeah, it's a 5wt but it's one of my main small stream rods and works perfectly. The thought that the rod is too heavy never crosses my mind, in fact a 10in brown puts a good bend in it. I got that rod maybe 8 years ago and I think the Clearwater that's made now is a little different, not sure. Could just be the design.

I'd say the three weight Clearwater would be good. And yeah you're right about the reel as they're just for storing line at the lower line weights, unless you're planning on targeting some bass but even then you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My shortest fly rod is 6'6"(an old 3wt Orvis glass rod) and it takes some adjustment if you're used to longer rods. The 5'9" would be pretty short, but unless you're nymph fishing for trout then I wouldn't worry about getting short rods.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything else except a 4wt fly line which you can use on your 5wt fly rod....that's pretty close to the 3wt you want...if your planning to use it to catch small wild trout on those small creeks and streams...the 4wt on the 5wt rod will work just fine....IMO.
Sorry but is still technically not a 3wt and is to heavy still.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've been kicking around getting a 3wt to add to my 5wt & 8wt. I don't want to spend a ton of money because this will be the least used (maybe not) of my rods. The 3 options that I've been considering are the Orvis Clearwater 7'6" ($199) LLBean Streamlight 5'9" ($169) and the LLBean Quest 6'6" ($99).

Anyone have any experience with these? The Streamlight seems to short but I don't know. Am I paying for the Orvis name with the Clearwater or is it a decent rod? Really not worried about the drag on the reel because of the small fish being targeted but what are your thoughts?
Thanks
Jason
Orvis Clearwater is a clear choice and a fantastic rod.

The other are a bit to short for good casting so you will want the longer rod.

For the near the same money don't leave out the far superior TFO BVK series or Finesse series.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jason, I have a 7' St. Criox Imperial in 3 wt. that I absolutely love. At an MSRP of $199, it's an OK deal, too! I keep thinking I am going to replace it with something, but then I fish it and realize how nice it is. I had the same rod in 8', but I never used it because I liked the 7' so much. Mostly short enough for small streams, mostly long enough to reach out a bit when you want to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been leaning toward the Orvis because there is a store 30 min from my house. But, a bit tentative because it would be the most expensive rig I have for fishing overall. My wife says I'm cheap but I prefer frugal.

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
what ever you choose ....keep this in mind.....Longer rods mend and control line better ..which is a must while trout fishing with nymphs and drys.....I myself will never own a rod under 7'6''.....something else to think about .....If you get a faster action 2wt you can run it with a 3wt line for small stream nymph fishing and use a 2wt line for drys and blue gills.....Just my .02

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the llbean streamlight 5wt. 8'6". It's a lot stiffer than my other 2 rods which took a little getting used to but now I really like it and it came with a reel on rod case that's pretty nice. There return policies great, no questions asked and free shipping on the return if you're a card member. I didn't like a rod I'd gotten from them after casting a few times and they replaced it in about 4 days.

·
A Fisherman
593 Posts
I like 3wt rods; They are fun. They are also a specialized rod but that has not stopped me from catching 2-3 lb small mouth bass with them. I have a bears den 7'6" 3wt pack rod with fly reel for less than $100 if you are interested. It is a fiberglass rod with 7 or 8 sections. PM me if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if the 5'9" is a typo on the LLBean website. That's awfully short I think. I do like that it comes with a reel on case too. I have a 2 rod, reel on case for the other 2 set ups and it does make it easy to grab and go.

ARR - I may be interested in your set up but I'm still gathering info so it may be a few weeks before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder if the 5'9" is a typo on the LLBean website. That's awfully short I think. I do like that it comes with a reel on case too. I have a 2 rod, reel on case for the other 2 set ups and it does make it easy to grab and go.

ARR - I may be interested in your set up but I'm still gathering info so it may be a few weeks before I pull the trigger.
Call and ask. They will transfer you directly to their fly guys. When I returned the rod I had a lot of questions and they were extremely knowledgable.

I just looked at the site and if you hit the "see more options" button next to the 5'9" 3wt. they also have a 6'6" 3wt. For the same price.
ARR's deal sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 10 ft 8wt. a couple 6wt. a 5wt. Sage and a 4wt. Just recently built a cabelas IM7 graphite kit which is a 2wt. 6 1/2 ft for small streams and farmpond bluegills and that thing is a hoot. Casts fine, just have to change your timing a little and doesn't roll cast as easily as a longer rod.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have 4 3wt outfits.
A 6'6" Lamiglass (custom build), a 6'6" Echo carbon, a 7'6" TFO signature, and an 8'6" Ross Essence. All are good rods at a reasonable price (under $200), and all cast well for me. My favorite is probably the 6'6" Echo. Fantastic little rod for the short length, and a 50-60' cast is not impossible.
Probably 90% of my fishing is done with a 3wt. Bluegills are great fun, and a 16" bass isn't too much for the rod at all. Size 8 flies (unweighted) are castable, but most of my ties are 12s & 14s.

·
Team NuCanoe
527 Posts
Just got back from Kalamazoo, Michigan with my Cabelas Prestige 3wt and hooked into a number of brookies....I think red dots along the side??? Still new at this stuff.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's an awesome little fish. I'll probably go with a Cabelas set up or the $99 LLBean rig because I just dropped $200 on a spinning rig. (Blasphemy I know).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts