Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the ramp open? anyone fished it recently, looking for a place to go tmro also thought maybe east branch but have never fished there.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
I was wondering about the progress on Chippewa myself. I know Medina Co. parks purchased the land on the west bank, but I've heard nothing on the development.
If nothing else, I'll swing by after work tomorrow and check it out.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
123 Posts
went to east branch a couple weeks ago and it was drained a few feet down..

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
I drove to the site of the county park after work, to see what I could see.

Saw this.

$2,225,000 spent on the Lake, $4,500,000 worth of land, and it's still, for all practical purposes a private lake!

This article was published in March of 2009.
http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/the-great-outdoors-will-soon-be-greater-1.157057

Chippewa Lake

Much of the park district's attention has been focused on acquiring and developing Chippewa Lake.

The district purchased the 330-acre lake for $2,225,000 in late 2006 with Clean Ohio Funds after nearly 14 years of negotiations, James said.

The park district earlier had acquired 300 acres west of the lake.

A master plan for the new park is being developed and should be completed by early summer, he said.

Construction of a parking lot and access road off Ballash Road is under way. A former ranch-style home on the property will be converted into a picnic shelter that can be reserved and could open this year, James said.

Anglers are interested in seeing spring-fed Chippewa Lake and its northern pike opened up, he said.

The district last year tried to get state funds to build a boat launch on the west side of Chippewa Lake, but that effort failed, James said. The park system will seek state funding this year.

The district wants to provide water access at Chippewa Lake, but it is not clear whether that would include beach swimming, he said. The lake is very shallow and swimming might not be a viable option.

The lake itself is smaller than once thought, James said. It appears it covers 330 acres, not the 350 acres that had been widely reported, he said. That means that Chippewa Lake is not Ohio's largest inland lake, as had long been touted, he said.

The new park is still unnamed, James said. Chippewa Lake Park would be the logical name, but James said he wants to make sure the park district can use the name of the old amusement park.

In Granger Township, a preliminary master plan will be released soon for Carolyn Ludwig Mugrage Park at Windfall and Granger roads, with construction likely in the next year or two, James said.

The 110-acre park might be developed as a children's discovery park with off-trail hiking encouraged. It could include Medina County's first canine park, he said.

The land, worth an estimated $4.5 million, was donated to the park district, James said.

·
Registered
779 Posts
"The lake itself is smaller than once thought, James said. It appears it covers 330 acres, not the 350 acres that had been widely reported, he said. That means that Chippewa Lake is not Ohio's largest inland lake, as had long been touted, he said."

Is that really even close to our largest inland lake? I assume they're excluding reservoirs

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
"The lake itself is smaller than once thought, James said. It appears it covers 330 acres, not the 350 acres that had been widely reported, he said. That means that Chippewa Lake is not Ohio's largest inland lake, as had long been touted, he said."
They left out the most important part... Ohio's largest NATURAL inland lake.

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/portals/35/inland_lakes/05_Natural_Lakes_in_Ohio_1991.pdf

A couple interesting lakes in the listing. I never assumed that Turkeyfoot was considered a natural lake. Nesmith and Summit as well. I assumed that long could have been natural due to the 60' depth in the middle. Wingfoot (was) also a natural lake (enlarged).

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
There is a park on chippewa road where I have launched my kayak into the outlet. it's a pretty good carry/drag though.
It's called Chippewa Inlet trail, and has public parking.

Google Earth shows the distance from the parking to the water to be about 240 yards.

There was a guy who lived on my mail route, who had access to the lake because his father owned a house there. Many times as I was walking by, delivering his mail, he was cleaning a mess of crappies,and they were SLABS!

I know there are nice bass and pike in there also, although the people who live along the lake keep pretty quiet about it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's called Chippewa Inlet trail, and has public parking.

Google Earth shows the distance from the parking to the water to be about 240 yards.
How many rods is that? (those who portage will get the joke..)

Actually, it looks like a decent flat walk with some canoe wheels. This looks like a safer place to park than the old pulloff near the inlet. There were incidents of damage done to cars parked around the few 'public' access points to the lake before the lake became public and the lots were built.

·
Registered
201 Posts
this must be a windy lake to show up that big of waves on the map. Ive heard this is great fishing but not sure anymore. Wife and I might check it out this week with the canoe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts