Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your looking for a fun lake to fish, that has docks, pads, rock and some long running points, and most of all an abundance of 4lb-6lb healthy Green Basss...Chippewa Lake is a must try. Been fishing it for 4-years and I believe a state record is swimming around in this lake. Also full of Crappie, Cats, Saugeye, Gar and Water Skiers! Summer-time bite, pitch the docks and pontoons and hold on!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Never really thought much about that lake until I've seen a few posts on here.
Everyone used to tell me it was private and just pleasure boats for those that lived on it,never gave it any thought after hearing that a few times.

Has it only become open to the public within the last few years?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Never fished it. Seems like I'm going to need to give it a day trip in September. Can't find much info on it as the ODNR page is still under construction as I'm sure you all know.

Is it worth a saugeye trip? I understand its one of our few natural glacier lakes so I can see understand the garden and maybe even bowfin? I live 30 min away in Akron and wouldn't mind a medium size lake to try out.

Doubtful I'd fish it on a weekend due to boat traffic.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was just told that they put a crap load of saugeye in it this year and had to many and took the rest and put in a old gravel strip lake over on White Rd in Burbank which is owned by the Medina County Parks as well. Can't hurt to try Chippewa for saugeye, heck it's only going to get better.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dangerously unlimited hp for such a small lake in my worthless opinion. There is a small place next to the normal launch I believe is a kayak or whatever launch, but some either don’t know or refuse to use it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I can be in the water there in 20 min from my house. Not a fishing lake of choice for me. There are fish. But you gotta know where they are. If that is a kayak launch it's pretty pathetic I use the boat ramp when launching my kayak there. Yes and the boat guys don't know how to launch either. I'm way faster than any of them. I watch and laugh at the boaters at the ramps when in my Kayak. Just saying since I see everyone ripping the kayak guys. I was also with my brother this weekend in the boat at Fairport harbor. Getting out was pretty comical.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can be in the water there in 20 min from my house. Not a fishing lake of choice for me. There are fish. But you gotta know where they are. If that is a kayak launch it's pretty pathetic I use the boat ramp when launching my kayak there. Yes and the boat guys don't know how to launch either. I'm way faster than any of them. I watch and laugh at the boaters at the ramps when in my Kayak. Just saying since I see everyone ripping the kayak guys. I was also with my brother this weekend in the boat at Fairport harbor. Getting out was pretty comical.
Must be a real fancy kayak if not capable of using the kayak ramp......

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The kayak ramp if you haven't seen it is a small ramp that drops you off onto rocks. The ramp doesn't even end in water. Pretty sad for a kayak ramp. My kayak is 14' long and a sit in side so I need a little smoother area to use my paddle as a brace to sit down and side in. Not fancy just that's the way it is. Sitting on rocks is not my idea of fun when you have a nice even ramp to launch with. And yes I have used many out of the way places to launch and get out of the water in kayaks and canoes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Said it before and I'll keep saying it. That lake is a death trap. unlimited horse power + no ski direction + big party lake = trouble...

as far as the dock fishing...Don't let the landowners catch you. They still think they own the lake.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have heard that the lake is horrible for bass fishing. I heard from great bass fisherman.But i am still going to trying sometime soon

Reactions: RJH68

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fish Bass Fishing Northern pike Fisherman
Fish Bass Fishing Northern pike Fisherman
I have heard that the lake is horrible for bass fishing. I heard from great bass fisherman.But i am still going to trying sometime soon
Agreed, I am a few miles from the lake and will kayak fish and bring the boat some days. A few decent bass a few and far between. Typically very stirred up and muddy from the traffic. Watch the flags they fly at the ramp, I will hit it during the no wake days when there is no traffic.
Rj

1 - 20 of 33 Posts