close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chinchillas! :D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlueGumyBear, Sep 3, 2007.

1. BlueGumyBear

BlueGumyBear Fisher Girl

Hey, I'm looking into getting a chinchilla. I was wondering if anyone has one, or knows someone who has them...and if you know if they make good pets, if they are easy to care for, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. We had several for a few years. They make great pets, they are hypoallergenic, shed very little, have no scent and are very fun to watch. The only drawback is that they should have a dust bath daily and the area around the cage can get a little dusty. We started with what we were told were two females, which we believed until they had babies. The babies were given to an area school which has an animal care program. We tried to separate the male and female but they were miserable, refused to eat and just sat in the corners of the cages until we put them together again. The next year another baby. Since we couldnt separate them and were having trouble finding people to take the babies we gave the two adults to a lady who promised to keep them together and knew people she could give any future babies to.If you have any specific questions fire away.

Scott

3. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

My niece has had one for about 5 years, very cute. Its' not real affectionate, but does not mind being handled. She has a box that it does the dust bath in, contains the mess. Neat little creature.

4. If you have any other questions, my wife raises and sells them as she teaches the Animal Care program at the local vocational school.

Salmonid

5. BlueGumyBear

BlueGumyBear Fisher Girl

Thank you so much you guys for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at them Thursday and hopefully will be getting one once it is ready to be apart from it's mother around the 30th. :D I'm so excited!!! I think I'm going to name him Hammie (this coming from the girl who has named her goldfish fluffy...) :)

6. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Remember these things keep on ticking and ticking.....I'm pretty sure Chillas run up past 20 years for life expectancy. I actually thing it's even higher than 20 years!

Great pets who are hilarious when they're out of the cage and hop/running off of walls:D

7. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I heard they're pretty tasty breaded and deep fried too! :D

8. BlueGumyBear

BlueGumyBear Fisher Girl

I was waiting for someone to mention something like that lol, although I was expecting a comment about using them for bait.

9. now the you mention it there hair makes great jigs

10. We had one in my first grade class....that was 20 years ago, but if it could handle a room full of seven year olds...well, they must be good around kids.

11. BlueGumyBear

BlueGumyBear Fisher Girl

Thank you...thank you so very much...now my boyfriend is hunting for the razors. If I am left with a bald chinchilla, I will sooo blame you!