Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone talks about using chicken livers for catfishing. Can anyone tell me the secret to using them? I have tried fresh and frozen chicken & beef, but always have a problem keeping it on the hook. I have tried several types of hooks - normal, circle, bait-keeper, and those treble hooks with the coil springs around the shank.

Do I need to mix them with something (like chopping in with doughballs)? Does it work better in those net dip bags, or in mesh salmon egg wraps?

I have also tried strips of beef heart because it should be blood-rich, and also a little tougher and it stays on the hook better, with no luck.

One thing that I don't do is to let them rot and putrify. (Couldn't get away with it if I tried), although I have left beef heart strips get rank in my car for a couple days earlier this summer when it was so blazing hot. Had to have good, airtight containers, though.

But the chicken liver thing intrigues me - just can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks.

PS - I have been to several forums for Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana - OGF is the best and most active I have found. There are more postings here in one day than I have found in weeks or months on other forums. OGF is great for sharing all kinds of info.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We use basic hooks, you just have to hook it over and over, try hooking into the fatty parts in between hooking the soft liver parts toss it out gently and you should have no problems... I've had the best luck with livers, haven't been skunked yet this yr we always catch something

The Silverback

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
I always have some mesh cloth with me, in case I run into that problem. Wrap it in mesh and tie it with thread. It will stay on very well.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I used to use liver but have switched to cut bait, stays on the hook and isn't messy and the cats seem to like it...........

·
The Fish Feeder
1,615 Posts
I found for chicken livers the best is go to kroger the day i'm going out and get fresh.They don't seem to do as well when i've frozen them and thaw again.I also take a small cooler to keep them with ice packed around the tubs,keeping the livers cold is the trick i've found.I don't dry or garlic powder, just keep em cold and they stay on the hook pretty good.And a nice steady cast in important,can't toss them out like crawlers.When cold, the nice ones stay firm and i use a small sharp knife to slice off the size i want.Keeping them cold is my trick and layer them on the hook,i like circle hooks.Also a couple hand towels is a must.

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
I think panty hose is illegal. I agree with fresh off the shelf and keeping it cold defently helps

From my Evo :D
Only used pantyhose, it gives an unfair advantage.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Here's a great tip:
Go to a craft store and get that stretchy elastic string. After you put your chicken liver on your hook, just take a 4 inch bit of the string and wrap it up. I think this is safer than panty-hose for the fish, and it works like a charm.

Usually this isn't necessary if you get the chicken liver ahead of time, though. Just pour out some strips in your back yard (save the goo for chumming the water if you want) and then let those strips toughen up in the sunlight. I usually powder them with garlic salt (or Koolade)to speed it up. Then when you go, the strips are already pre-cut and you can avoid having to fumble around with them at the lake so much.

Also, all of my friends try to cast out a mile rather than just flip it out. As much as this stuff stinks, I really don't think that extra 20ft really makes a difference, so I would suggest you cast it out with a nice easy lob cast.

gl with the stinky fingers :)

·
FISH
349 Posts
Be gentle with the liver..and it won't be as mushy. If you want to use a smaller piece use a sharp knife to cut it.

+1 on hooking it over and over again

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with warehouse's method, the string. Atlas makes magic string that you can wrap around your liver. I have done this alot and been very successful with it. I can also cast pretty hard with no worries.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with getting it fresh from the store the day you go. Sometimes you can squeeze the container at the store and find one that is partially frozen. I keep a separate cooler for livers. I use ice and rock salt(layered) so it stays colder. Cold to partially frozen is the key! It stays on way better that way. As to a hook I prefer a "cricket hook" with the long shaft. Like someone already mentioned, hooking it over and over helps a lot, but make sure you're not tearing it up in the process. And of course don't go for the world record long distance cast when using livers. A nice lob cast will get it out plenty. Good luck and better fishing!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They don't seem to do as well when i've frozen hem and thaw again.I also take a small cooler to keep them with ice packed around the tubs,keeping the livers cold is the trick i've found.

i agree here...keeping them cold seems to be the trick. once they get hot they get mushy and wont stay on the hook. that and a smooth easy cast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts