Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone able to find any? Walmart and Kroger in sw Ohio hasn’t had any in weeks. I’d like to catch a few Chanel cats, guess it’s shrimp Or minnow.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Buy a bag of medium size frozen shrimp. Thaw and set in the sun for a few hours. Add some olive or vegetable oil and a tin of smoked oysters with the drippings. Smush it all together and put it in your cooler. Works great and stays on the hook well.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Been looking, none down here in the Southest westest Krogers in Ohio. Been using fresh caught bait when available, gizzards and hearts, beef liver, bread balls, etc. catching has been slow, but I think it is more due to spawning than bait.

·
The Fish Feeder
1,614 Posts
Same here in my area. None at kroger's or walmart's for the past 4 weeks or more. Have checked multiple stores. Only place i found livers was a marathon on way to camp that sells some bait. Small containers for catfish bait.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Have only used chicken livers a couple times when I was a kid. When I first got stationed in Texas back in the early 80s nobody used chicken livers, they used beef liver. It has to be fresh not frozen. Cut it into strips and set in the sun sprinkled garlic powder. Stays on the hook better than chicken livers.

Reactions: FlyFishRich

·
Registered
37 Posts
f
anyone able to find any? Walmart and Kroger in sw Ohio hasn’t had any in weeks. I’d like to catch a few Chanel cats, guess it’s shrimp Or minnow.
Fresh cut bait has been a better producer for Channel Cats for me then anything else iv'e used in the past. Usually whatever bait I could catch the same day is best and kept on ice until use. Creek chubs, Gizzard Shad, Bluegill etc. I do catch Channels on live bait (Bluegill or Creek chubs) when fishing for Flatheads and they tend to be larger around 10-12 lbs. I freeze any left over live bait and it works fine but in my experience is the fresher the better.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,641 Posts
If you harvest panfish or other species to eat, cut the left over carcass up into pieces and freeze. I’ve been doing this for awhile now. You’ll always have fresh cutbait to use when your ready

1 - 12 of 12 Posts