close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chicken Liver Help!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by midoh39, Jul 24, 2007.

1. midoh39

midoh39 member

I'm very new to fishing with livers. Here's my question, while fishing at Kiser Lake today we would get alot of hits or even just little taps and our liver would be gone. Is there anyway to some how tie the livers on or something??

2. Wrap the liver in a mesh bag like thet use for steelhead eggs. You are getting bit by the panfish.

3. Yes, they do make a mesh bag somewhat like a lantern mantle,but I couldn't tell you where you could find them besides searching the web.On the other hand,how big of piece and what size hook are You using?There are a lot of yellow bellies in Kiser,which will steal bait,but normally will eat and swallow your hook.Small channels are another possibility,they tend to peck a the bait more than a yellow belly,in other words,You get a bite and it seems like they never actually take the bait,but You end up empty.Does this sound right? Also to use livers efficiently and keep them on the hook, they need to be kept on ice but not frozen and changed on the hook about every 20-30 minutes.There are alot of nice cats in Kiser,plus the occasional wiper,and now striped bass which will be interesting to see how the do. Good Luck!

4. i remember when we used to fish the river when i was younger, we used to take small rubberbands and use them to wrap around the livers and the hook. i also remember using panty hose, it may sound funny, but it did work. i used to hate touching the livers, so by using the pantyhose, i didnt have to keep sticking my hands in them and re-baiting the hook. try this, it should help

5. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

the panty hoes trick definitely works...thats what we always did

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

try a #4 or #6 gold aberdeen hook and see what's stealing your bait. If you take your time you can land a big cat.

7. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

I will agree with the panty hose. I use to get some livers the day before we went out and put them in individual panty balls to use. I would then let them soak over night. Seemed to work well and they stayed on the hook great.

8. The panty hose trick weres well ( but let them soak over night to get the scent out of the panty hose ). Only bad thing about Panty hose, is when the livers gone, generally the panty hose isn't. And you better have a good knife with you to cut the panty hose of the hook. Because tearing it off is a bear sometimes ( and its messy )... * God, them panty hose are strong when wet * lol

9. The more open mesh used for steelhead eggs is easier to use than the panty hose and can be removed from the hook quite easiley. Whwn I make up some liver balls they are a little bigger than a golf ball. Don't forget about live bluegil as bait.

10. Does anyone use treble hooks to keep the bait together better?

11. I go into Dillards or any dept store that sells womens shoes. They have those little slip on things that ladies put on there feet when they try on shoes. The are much smaller than pantyhose but they are a mesh material. I grab me a handfull of these things are they work great

12. midoh39

midoh39 member

Thanks for all the replys. I'm going to Gander Mountain tonight. And I have tried treble hooks its almost the same as using a regular hook except the fish swallow them.

13. use sewing thread and wrap it around the chicken liver a few time

14. u could get a small ruberband to put around it

15. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

lol if u want my opinion throw the livers in the drink and get some raw shrimp. i hate chicken liver... its messy doesnt stay on the hook and its just an all out PITA as far as im concerned. but i have heard ppl say use turkey liver its tougher than chicken liver and works equally as well. alsoi have heard put the livers in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and they get tougher. i dunno never tried that one but i used to fish with this oldtimer who swore by livers and thats what he would do. b4 the microwave he said he would dunk the livers in some hot not boiling water for about 30 seconds to toughen em up. just a few ideas. i hope u can get em to stay on ur hook.

16. If you've never tried chop steak, try it. It has enough gristle to stay on the hook and believe it or not it works great. It’s probably not much more expensive than the livers either. I’ve caught some nice channel and blues on it.

17. Panty hose has always worked best for me. I even have a hard time getting my liver off the hook.

18. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Simple solution???
    Buy beef liver and chicken liver.
    Cut your beef liver in bait size pieces and soak them in the chicken livers in the fridge for a few days.
    They take on the chicken liver smell,yet they are a much tougher bait.

19. 2nd the steelhead egg sacks.