close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chewing Tobacco.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by moe1078, Sep 16, 2004.

1. I have a very bad chew habit. I have decided today that i am going to try and quit (again). I have tried cold turkey and it just dosnt work for me.I am going to go on my lunch and buy some of the nicorette gum. Just curious as to wether anyone has tried this stuff before and if it has worked for them.

2. I have never chewed but a few guys here at work quit a while back and used stuff called Back Off. I guess its like tea leaves or something, they said it didnt tast all that great but got them off the real stuff.

3. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Yea it works, then you can't quit the gum.

4. Visit a cancer home and look at the men dying from mouth and throat cancer.
    I never thought I could quit smoking until I watched two family members, both heavy smokers, slowly pass along from that dreaded illness. Both were straping men of 170 to 190 pounds when they started going downhill. Both were a shriveled skeleton that I could have carried without a problem when they died. I stopped, cold turkey.

5. I finally stopped using all together this past February. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I started as a junior in high school, and chewed throughout college. I tried to stop tons of times, and the longest it lasted was like 2 days. I couldn't live without it. First thing I did in the morning was throw in a dip, and the last thing I did before I went to bed was take one out.

Then, while at work one day I decided that I wanted to stop again. I got on the internet, and looked up dip stopping websites, and found pictures of guys who had their faces half off, and it made me sick to my stomach. I found the sickest one I could, and put it as the back ground of my computer. I looked at that picture all the time, and decided that I never wanted anyone to see me like that. It was horrid. So, I haven't had any tobacco since February, and I don't even want it anymore.

I see people here at work that have a chew in, and it just makes me sick looking at them. I know that won't work for everyone, but I just thought about my family, and how I never wanted them to see me like that, or I never wanted to look in the mirror and see me like that. I did use some pouched chew like 2 times a day for a week or so, just to go off of the nicotine a little slower than cold turkey. I chewed a lot of gum, a lot of beef jerky, and sunflower seeds. I started working out every night to keep me busy, and not thinking about chewing. I feel so much better now, which was a surpise. I used to think that chewing would keep me awake when I was getting tired, but now I stay awake easier than when I had nicotine.

Sorry this was long, but I know what you are going through. Shortdrift is right, if you see people that are dying, or living and looking like something out of a horror film, because of wasting money on something that you don't need, you wise up real fast. I just wish I would have done it sooner!! Everyone is different, but I hope that you can do it!! You will never regret it!! Good luck, and if you need some pictures, I still have a couple on the computer at my house, just in case....but I'm sure I will never need them again.

Kevin

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have been dipping for 24yrs, no problems..And I dont intend to quit...Had two uncles who chewed from age 14 till they died in there 80's no problems

7. And he's got 1 tooth to prove it...........LOL...............JUST GOOFING WITH YA Flathunter..............Rich

8. I went to get some nicorette at lunch. I figured i can buy a lot of tobacco for what they are asking for a box of gum. It was almost $80. I will figure something out but it wont involve that stuff.

9. If you have health insurance go see a doctor and get it prescribed........Rich

10. It is your choice. Look up the statistics and you will see the odd's are against you. Cheers to all those that use and make it to a ripe old age. :) Regarding those that checked out due to tobacco related cancer I say, too bad but it was their choice.
    Me........... I hope I quit soon enough as I am enjoying the heck out of retirement and want to be around for as long as possible. Being healthy enough to fish three days a week and still hunt deer at 65 puts me ahead of a lot of others I have known.
    I'm not beating the drum but just saying it as it is. It is your choice. :)

11. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

You have to be mentally ready to quit. I used Nicorette 3 times to great success each time. It was my foolish ignorance that allowed myself to start up again. But nicorette takes away alot of the cravings and lessens the physical withdrawal. No you cannot get addicted to the gum, because it used a non-addictive nicotine derivative that tricks the body into thinking it is satisfied. The body over time starts demanding less and less satisfaction, until you need no more gum. Note : always keep a few pieces of gum in your car or whatever, after you have quit, because you can get a craving out of the blue weeks later.

12. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

quit smoking cold turkey june 22, kids bugged me to death I guess, never smoke at home, and rarely did they see me smoke but when they did they would go through the cigerettes are gonna kill ya spew. What really did me in was when my youngest twin, (5) told me about the girl meggan on the radio that had a dad that smoked and then he quit but it was too late and he got cancer and died, she looked me square in the eyes and told me, with tears in hers that she didn't want me to die. That and I like breathing on my own mad me decide to quit for good. Didn't suck as bad as before when I quit for over a year. :rolleyes: This time is for good though, I hope.

Put my last dip in about a month ago and everyday sucks without one. It drives me nuts not to have one in after lunch and while I sit at the puter. I only went through about a can every 2-4 days so it was not like I was dippin huge chews or nuttin but man do I miss it. Would like to have one now, boy would I like to have one now. Oh well, figure I am better off I suppose.

bill

13. I've been on the nicorette gum since January, 2004 and it works for me. I quit a 2 pack/day smoking habit 10 yrs ago and traded it for a 2 pack/day Red Man habit. Like someone else said you can also get hooked on the gum, but I'm slowing weaning myself off. I'm down to 4-6 pieces/day.

14. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Just curious, I have been dipping snuff for appx 24 years, never tried to quit..If I did try to quit, and quit cold turky, with no gum, what kind of physical withdrawl problems would I get?

15. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

I too am getting ready to quit. I have been dipping since I was about 13 so it is a habit now. I used to smoke too but gave that up cold turkey 12 years ago. Dipping is way harder to give up. I don't know why but it is. I bought my last tube a few days ago and have been mentally preparing myself for it. Fortunately, I have a strong will power and an even stronger support system in my wife and kids. Let us all know how it goes for you.

16. I smoked for over 20 years and nicorette got me off the sticks.
    I think the directions say you could use 9 or 10 pieces a day, but I made it through with five or six. When I got ready to quit the nicorette, I started chewing dentine gum and that helped me get off the gum.
    Lots of luck.

17. i smoked for 24 yrs ages 12 thru 36. it's now been almost 20 yrs. since i quit. dec. 8 will make twenty. quiting was the hardest thing i ever did. it does, however, get better-so keep at it. after three days the withdrawl from nicotien is over, that's the easy part. now comes the habit. that's the hard part. i still feel left out when those around me are using tobacco. when you seperate from tobacco it's like losing a friend, one you depend on. some friend! you reward yourself with tobacco. some reward! tobacco is tricky and will offer you all kinds of excuses to go back to it. don't let it fool you.

18. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

My wife's uncle died of throat cancer on Jan 1, 2003. He was in his mid 60's enjoying a retired life of fishing and hunting outside Franklin, WV. He died too young and lost out on a number of good years of what should have been the best time of his life.

He chewed since he was a young boy.

19. Yeah, I use to have the nicknames "Snuffy" in high school and "Mr. Snuffleupagus" and a few other nicknames I'd rather not discuss. I think "Snuffleupagus" was a Sesame Street character. Anyhow.....with Snuff being $4.50/can, I think its easy to quit unless you're rich. However, now that these brands like Grizzley, Cougar, etc. are selling their product so cheap, it makes it harder to quit. And Grizzley wintergreen is quite delicious once you get use to it. I have seen it for $1.34/can!

My advice would be to go to a cheap chow to ween yourself off the dip. Chow just doesn't seem to have near the addictive power as snuff. I believe its an oral addiction just as much as it is a chemical addiction to nicotine. I compare it to getting a child off of a pacifier. They get used to sucking on a plastic/rubber nipple and end up liking it and when you take that nipple away from them, they get all cranky. I get cranky too when a nipple is taken away from me but thats another story. Try to occupy your mouth with gum or bite your nails or just eat all the time to keep your mind off the fact that you ain't got a pinch in your lip. I prefer to just drink a lot of beer.

I agree with previous statements that you have to be 100% mentally ready to quit because the fact is, if you don't really want to quit, you won't.

Good luck sir!

20. Well this post came in perfect timing. In the last three months my company has been making some EXTREME changes. We had one of those "what would make you (the workers) more happy" meetings. If you guys ever have one of those meetings, DONT TELL THEM ANYTHING LOL. Soon afterward we heard rumors about a no tobacco policy, so all us chewers got ourselves boxes of sawdust to spit in, an attempt to keep them from taking it away from us. No luck, now we cannot chew and the smokers can't smoke unless on break. If you chew you realize that a ten minute dip is similar to getting to the lake and taking your poles out, then going home. I realized I would be thanking the company in the long run as there was no way I would ever quit as long as all my buddies were doing it around me. The first week was HELL. After every break and lunch I would be craving one something fierce. Now as long as I don't think about it I'm fine, (until some idiot comes along and says man a chew would be good right now lol). I still chew while fishing though, the way my buddy and I figure it just makes us enjoy fishing all the more. I really am not as concerned about my health now as I was, but I suppose I oughtta just quit altogether. Gonna be tough, I usually chew copenhagen and it seems to be pure nicotine lol. And now timberwolf has come out with peach flavor, and I always gotta try the new flavors. Oh well maybe after the coming hunting seasons pass I won't feel the urge so much. BTW, they didn't stop with takin our chew, now we all have to be clean-shaved and we gotta wear dickies khaki's and this thick company shirt thats gonna make me sweat to death. Can't wait to go fishing after work wearing that lol.