close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chevy trucks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Phil Carver, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I recently had the oil changed in my truck . 1 week later the change engine oil light came on and comes on every time I start it . When the oil was changed , should something have been done electronicaly to reset this ?

2. That Is A Computer Controlled Reminder That Goes Of Every 3,000 To 5,000 Miles. The Oil Change Place Should Have Reset The Light. If I Am Not Mistaken On Most Gm Vehicle You Can Turn Key To On Position(not Start Position). Pump The Gas Pedal Completely To The Floor 5 Times In 5 Seconds. Then Turn Key Into Start Position And Light Should Not Come On. Let Me Know If That Does Not Solve Problem.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

your right on Mike.

4. Phil Carver

Dint work for me . :( I guess that I am not doing it right .

5. DaleM

Just did mine. Turn the key to the on postion, pump the peddle 4 or 5 times quickly in about 4 to 5 seconds. Turn the key off, then start the engine. shut it of and restart this cleared mine. If it doesn't work stop by tomorrows tournament, (At O'Shaugnessy) and I'll show you how to do it.

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Thats how mine is done.....

Not ONE LETTER was written about it in my manual. I was really frustrated with it there for a while but finally figured it out. The manual said it could be done, but didnt tell how to do it.

Actually now that i think about it, the manual said it could be done using the "trip/hours/odometer" doo-hickey but that turned out to be incorect info! I did just about every dang thing I could think of with that thing short of pulling it out of the dash.

Maybe your manual spells it out, if its something different.

7. Hydra,
    I am assuming you have a late model Silverado? Turn the ignition to run, but don't start the engine, then pump the gas pedal 3 times rapidly all the way to the floor and wait for the change oil light to flash and go out. If that doesn't work let me know, some of the Silverado's had an issue with clearing the light and there was a software upgrade.

Mike

8. Phil Carver

Thanks cemotech
    3 times was the charm . :) Plus I hadnt been letting the light flash . :D

9. Glad I Could help.

Mike

10. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Does that trick work on all late model GM's?

I have an 03 Sonoma Crew and an 04 Trailblazer...and of course, neither mention jack in the manual.

Our 03 vette actually has a digital oil meter on it...shows oil life in 10% increments. Is that based on mileage, or is it some sorta sensor?

11. Spend a couple of dollars and put an oil pressure gague in and the you will know what is what!

12. DaleM

Yes Shake, I believe they are all the same. Once you do it, it is real simple.

13. Yea, then you wouldn't have to worry about changing the oil because it would be dead before the first 3,000 miles. :rolleyes: ;)

14. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

my mustang lasted 180000 miles with only 1 belt going bad all i have had is problems with this 04 chevy cav the wife wanted rides like crap and the trunk leaked off the lot think i am going with a ford or ram for a truck......jim

15. Shakedown,

The reset on the Trailblazer varies depending on whether you have a Driver Information Center or not. If you don't then the procedure is the same. If you do have a DIC, then follow this procedure, which is in your owners manual:

Use the fuel information button to scroll through the range, average fuel economy, instant fuel economy and the GM Oil Life System.

Fuel Range
    Press the fuel information button until RANGE appears to display the remaining distance you can drive without refueling. It's based on fuel economy and the fuel remaining in the tank. The display will show LOW if the fuel level is low.

The fuel economy data used to determine fuel range is an average of recent driving conditions. As your driving conditions change, this data is gradually updated. Fuel range cannot be reset.

Average Fuel Economy
    Press the fuel information button until AVG appears in the display. Average fuel economy is how many miles per gallon your vehicle is getting based on current and past driving conditions.

Press and hold the select button while AVG. ECON is displayed to reset the average fuel economy. Average fuel economy will then be calculated starting from that point. If the average fuel economy is not reset, it will be continually updated each time you drive.

Instant Fuel Economy
    Press the fuel information button until INST appears in the display. Instant fuel economy is how many miles per gallon your vehicle is at the particular moment in time. The instant fuel economy cannot be reset.

GM Oil Life System
    Press the fuel information button until ENGINE OIL LIFE appears in the display. The GM Oil Life System shows an estimate of the oil's remaining useful life. It will show 100% when the system is reset after an oil change. It will alert you to change your oil on a schedule consistent with your driving conditions.

Always reset the engine oil life monitor after an oil change. To reset the monitor, press and hold the select button while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed. For more information, see Engine Oil .

Sorry I can't find any information on the Sonoma either, but I believe it is the gas pedal trick if it has a change oil light. I do electrical and engine performance work, I hardly ever change oil. Since I missed the other post about jobs I'll add mine here. I have been a Chevrolet technician for over 20 years.

Mike

16. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

WOW Mike...thanks for the info!

17. DaleM

Thanks Mike. Nice to have a GM guy on here. Now we know where to go to get help :D

18. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

:p They assume that since their customers are smart enough to buy a vehicle that lasts that they are smart enouth to add 3000 miles to their odometer. :D

19. DaleM,

More than happy to help whenever I can.

Mike