close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chevy truck guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LaDobasser, May 11, 2004.

1. Does anyone know where the EGR valve is located on a 1990 Blazer with a 4.3 liter V6? I'm pretty sure mine's bad, but I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a detailed description of where it is. If it's not too hard to get to, I'd like to do it myself.
    Thanks!
    LaDo

2. I Dont Know Where Its Located But I Would Call A Dealer Or Napa Or Another Parts Place...i Guess Thats Not Much Help At 8-30 Pm At Night......

3. It still runs, it just stalls sometimes and hesitates and runs rough at idle. It also has a pretty good knock, but I figure it'll still run for at least a week. I just want to take care of it before it totally quits.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll call someone tomorrow if no one here replies by then. ;)
    Thanks!
    LaDo

4. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

you know what it looks like right? not being smart i just want to make sure, i think on a 90 4.3 as your looking at the motor from a normal in front of the car position it should be on the left side ( drivers side ) more towards the back than the front of the valve cover, if its a plugged or clogged EGR its an easy fix, should be 2 ........ 10 mm nuts holding it down and a flex line attached to it, be careful lifting it out cause the gaskets tend to rip if your not dainty with it, after you get it out get a can of brake clean or carb cleaner and clean all the carbon and carbon chunks do the same on the motor if you can have the vaccume checked on the egr valve, the 4.3 is notorious for the egr clogging up due to carbon, good luck.......... :cool:

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

If that does not work, try cleaning the throttle plate. I had two motors do the exact same thing on me and the throttle plates were choked with carbon-buildup and deposits. Try that as well, it can't hurt.

6. What makes you think it's the egr valve? Did the check engine lite come on? Trip any codes. Those engine are know to have fuel related problems. You could spend a lot of money guessing. If your interested I'll look when I get to work.
    Sliprig

7. Thanks to all the replies! I'm gonna try cleaning it and see if that helps.
    Sliprig, the light never came on, but it stalls, hesitates, runs rough, and has a knocking noise, so I just assumed that was it. If cleaning it doesn't work, I'll probably get it hooked up to something to find the problem.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    LaDo

8. Well, since I'm not that good when it comes to mechanical stuff, I decided not to try to clean the EGR vavle myself. I dind't realize how tough it was to get to. Thanks for the help, but I think I'm gonna get it checked out by my mechanic.
    Sliprig, what did you mean by fuel related problems? Do you mean like the injectors or fuel pump?
    Thanks again!
    LaDo

9. Are know to have problems with the TBI unit and the plastic fuel lines that supply them. They usually leak fuel on the intake manifold. GM part # 217-1431 and 17112705. Stalling could be a sign of many problems, fuel related or electrical. Take it to a pro and let them trouble shoot it. You could go broke replacing parts.

Sliprig

10. Yea, thats what I'm gonna do, sliprig. My brother has an engine diagnostic machine at his body shop, so I'll have him hook it up for me. If it turns out to be something fairly hard to do, I'll take it to a mechanic.
    Thanks again for everyone's help!
    LaDo