close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chevy Trail Blazer as Tow Vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bob4246, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Trail Blazer LT Extended. It has the 4.2 liter inline 6 cyl with auto trans and 4WD. I've always owned Fords. Don't know much about the Bowties. My boat/trailer weighs about 2200#. I know K-Gone and a few others on here run th TB's. Anyone have any comments good or bad? Thanks.

2. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

You will not have a problem with it at all. Towed my Lund to canaday several times and never had a problem. I do put in to 3 like the books says when towing. Ps I think the motor is a 4.3 liter

3. No problem at all. I tow a Tracker PT175 with mine...big difference between towing in drive and towing in 3 but not a problem in either. I would imagine if you tow in 3 like the manual says your tranny will last a little longer.:D If I recall correctly, they tow 5500 lbs with the 3.73 rear axle and 7000 lbs with the 4.10.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

My wife has one, and I've towed my 19 foot stratos 282 FS with it a few times to compare it to my Silverado. The TB tows like a dream for a v6. It's quite impressive.

Hers has the 3.73. Lundy tows his Lund 2025 with the 4.10 and I think he's quite happy with it.

5. I've never drove a TB but I used to have an Astro mini van with the 4.3 in it and I towed my boat which is a bit heavier than what you will be pulling without problems. It's a heck of a motor!

6. BuckeyeBoy

BuckeyeBoy A Fool waiting on a jerk

I have a 2006 TB with the 4.2 4WD and 3.73 gears. The 4.2 is the GM straight six with the 24 valve head. It is one tough motor.I pull my Tracker PT175 all over the place with it. Good around town and pulls wonderful down the highway. I think it pulls as well as my truck and rides a lot better.:)

7. No worries! My dad pulls his 18' Nitro with his and we have towed my boat with our Envoy.............they are STRONG LIKE BULL!

8. Only advice I can give is be SURE to take it out of overdrive first. Towing in OD can overheat the tranny and also overpressurize it blowing the front seals. Did it with a 4.oL Explorer much to my chagrin.

Huntinbull

9. I had an 02 TB. The engine is strong and it will have no prob towing your boat...

I had some annoying electrical issues with mine that were never recalled to my knowledge.

For instance...the taillights/brake lights burn out bulbs constantly...literally like once a month. This isn't a big deal until you've had a couple cocktails and need to drive home, it gives u a little uneasy feeling to potentially have a taillight out at any moment. I've noticed literally hundreds of them on the road with this same issue. The dealer said it was something wrong with the wiring that couldn't really be fixed without changing the entire wiring harness for the vehicle. Again, to my knowledge, never recalled.

Also I had some sort of issue where the interior back lighting on the gauge panel would go completely black intermittantly. This was resolved by the dealer under warranty...can't remember what the issue was.

Over the course of a few years I had lots of little issue like this, all resolved under warraty except the taillight thing. I eventually just bought a dozen bulbs and kept them in the truck with me.

Overall it was a good vehicle but the constant little stuff was quite ridiculous considering I paid $32K for the thing.

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I do have a 2002 TB LTZ and so does the other half of Team Kielbasa Frank his is a 2004 or 2005, we both love our truck, our boat full with gas and a tourney load weighs 4500 pounds with trailer. It does the job towing for us could use a little more power when coming up a ramp or something but no small truck is going to yank a heavy boat like's not there in that situation. Overall I love the truck, my next one will be the trailblazer SS, I've always wanted a super fast truck but love my TB so I can get the best of both worlds, only crappy gas mileage in the SS. Go for it you'll like it. I know a guy Tommy who tows a 1700 Lund fisherman and Bthomas tows a 22 foot C-liner with an envoy. Pretty popular truck for us walleye guys I would say.

I did have a power steering leak and a my gas tank sending unit went bad which sucked and I have burnt out headlights once and fog lights twice, taillights only once I've had the truck 2 1/2 years and put 50K on it so far. Good truck comfy ride and nice interior, lots of room and way nicer and more comfort than the Explorer IMO anyday of the week.

11. Dkilla I have an 04 TB ext and had the issue with the left rear taillight. It was a recall issue. Took mine into the dealer and had the whole ass'y replaced and it hasn't happened since. I've towed boats/campers/trailers as far as Talladega and thought it towed very nice. 4.3 v6

12. I think I remember them telling me that they changed the assembly between 02 and 03 to remedy the issue but there was no simple permanent fix on the 02. I could be wrong.

Other than these issues I LOVED that truck. Plenty of power and super smooth ride. I had and LT with the factory running boards...Dark blue with dark tinted windows (legal when I lived in FL) looked STELLAR!

My 2WD TB rode more smoothly that the Caddy STS that I drive now.

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

If you do get one, try to ge the LT, the nicer interior, leather and controls make it a luxury vehical instead of the standard SUV believe me all the goodies make a world of difference in this truck. I added all kinds of stuff to my truck and tinted ALL my windows addes a big system and wheels, it looks nice, I enjoy getting in it and driving it daily.

[​IMG]

14. Thats a great lookin truck man. I always wanted to do the 20" wheels but never got around to it. I had a bangin' little stereo system in mine as well.

Always nice to have the bells and whistles....keeps you from feeling like your rolling around in an Enterprise rental. lol

15. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I pull my Lund 2025 with my 2006 Trailblazer, but it has the 8 cyl, and the 3.73 gear.

It pulls it very, very easily.

My previous company vehicle was a Chevy Astro van(rated to 5000 lb towing) with the 4.3 6 cyl. It handled my older boat OK but when I got this new boat it really had to work hard, especially if you had any uphill grade. It had the "Tow Mode" and for my previous boat, a 19', it worked pretty well.

16. Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like most of you love the TB. Like I said before I've always owned Fords. I had transmission issues with their 4.0 liter V6 / Automatic in my extended cab Ranger. Always locked out the overdrive when towing. I'm on my 2nd rebuild and looks like I scorched the tranny again (OD light flashes on dash and it occasionally hangs in 2nd gear. Ive only ever towed a 14' smoker and 18' Starcraft (both aluminum).

I've never launched using an SUV. I've become accustom to hooking and unhooking the wench strap from the tailgate of my pickup. I use the rear tire as a step and climb into the bed to stay dry. Guess I'll have to climb through the rear door or change my loading and unloading procedure.

17. Do u have a drive on or a roller trailer?

I've always delt with roller trailers (deep-v hull boats) which require you backing into deeper water than drive on trailers (bass boats etc).
    You usually shouldn't have to back the rear of the truck past water line...I've always been able to step up on the tougne of the trailer at the hitch and walk down the tounge to the wench.

18. It's an older trailer with rear bunks and center rollers. I do drive it on and normally step from the bow to trailer tongue and onto the tailgate. Might be hard to do with the hatchback style back door. I've never backed the boat down without the winch strap unhooked. I once saw an expensive fiberglass walleye rig slide off the trailer onto the bare concrete during a WOWC event at Alum Creek several years ago. It was painful to watch the reloading operation to say the least.

19. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Bob,

I was there, fishing that tournament (actually was fortunate enough to finish 2nd:) , the morning that boat came off of the trailer.

It was a little unusual because of all of the freezing weather and ice we had the day before. His bunks were solid ice. It took me over an hour to get my water outlet hole on my outboard thawed out.

Even with that being the case I still don't unhook the strap until the back of the boat is in the water unless it's a very flat ramp.

20. I guess u have 3 options:

1) Put the back seat down and open the hatch...then u can go thru the hatch, climb up thru the back of the truck and get out the back door.

2) Get a trailer with a longer tounge

3) Invest in a nice pair of quick drying water-friendly sneakers.