Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2000 Tahoe 4-WD and I am trying to replace rear rotor, pads, parking brake and dust shield. I know how to do the brakes, but can't figure out how to get the dust shield replaced. It is attached to the backplate, which can't be removed without removing the rear axle hub assembly (that is a guess as to what it is called--it is what my rim bolts to and is part of the rear axle). This is where I am stuck. I don't know how to remove the hub assembly so the back plate and dust shield can be removed. If anybody has any knowledge about this, please help. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
You will have to take the cover off of the rearend housing. There will be a small bolt in the carrier that you need to remove. Once the bolt is out the large pin in the middle of the carrier will slide out. Once the pin is out push your axles in toward the carrier the c clips will then come off the inside end of the axle. You then can pull the axle out and change the backing plate (dust shield). Becareful not to turn anything when you have the pin out. This will knock the spider gears out and they can be a booger to get back in. Be sure to fill the rearend back up when you are finished. That vehicle calls for 75w90 synthetic fluid. It will hold just over 2 quarts. Hope this helps you out.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have to take the cover off of the rearend housing. There will be a small bolt in the carrier that you need to remove. Once the bolt is out the large pin in the middle of the carrier will slide out. Once the pin is out push your axles in toward the carrier the c clips will then come off the inside end of the axle. You then can pull the axle out and change the backing plate (dust shield). Becareful not to turn anything when you have the pin out. This will knock the spider gears out and they can be a booger to get back in. Be sure to fill the rearend back up when you are finished. That vehicle calls for 75w90 synthetic fluid. It will hold just over 2 quarts. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks Jason for the quick response...I am not sure I want to go that far just to replace the dust shield...although they need replaced, seems like a lot of extra work...I hate to not do the job thoroughly but I think I need to stay within my comfort level here. But I still appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Check with the aftermarket parts stores. I'm not sure about late model vehicles but I know the older cars have (or at least had) 2 pieces shields available to make the job easier. However, I have no experience with 2 piece units and have heard that they don't last as long. Just a different angle for you to look into. May be good or bad. I don't really know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts