Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a pair a stocking foot waders for Fall and Winter fishing, looking to invest 100-200$ and wondered what the seasoned fly fishermen where having luck with? Ive been reading reviews but would prefer the advise of the Ofg members. I quickly wore out a -$100 pair of frogg toggs with boots attached, they were ok starters but inseam was too short and the boots had very little grip on slick rocks, so I am ready to upgrade, Ive been fly fishing the past few years mainly in the Winter but lately in the Fall for Smb too, so I am thinking a pair of breathable waders that I could wear a pair of poly polypro long johns or wollies under if needed in the Winter. Also interested in preferred boots if anyone likes one more than the other. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

·
Registered
751 Posts
LLBean breathables. Great guarantee and price. I've had mine for about 14 months and love them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
go breathable... no need for neoprene. I have expensive waders but have found them to be worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
and in my opinion don't go with boa boots... I hate mine

·
Registered
946 Posts
i love my korkers boots i bought within the last year. very comfortable has the interchangeable sole. they came with sticky rubber and felt but have never actually put the felt on in the river.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Find a few more $$$ and go with Simms Headwaters. Can't beat the quality, and Gore Tex is the ultimate in breathables. If you can't go for the Headwaters, the Freestones are still very good, just not Gore Tex.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the price of the LL Bean breathable Emerger at $180 although the Kennebec looks like much better quality for another $70 bucks, LL Beans satisfaction guaranteed warranty concerns me comparing it to what Simms offers, it looks like Simms will repair anytime for$40-$65 plus shipping, so I am thinking if I am going to spend $250 or so, Id like to have the piece of mind of having a better warranty.
ChuckNduck, do you think Simms headwaters while wearing long johns underneath would be sufficient to fish in say 25-60 degree weather?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wear merino wool base layers under fleece wader pants. I've never had a problem with being too cold with this combo. Merino is great stuff, I think better than synthetics. I have a set of Simms top and bottom, but you can find a lot of other merino wool base layers. The wader pants I've been wearing are the "Legacy Fleece" from Cabela's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also, you'll find that Simms neoprene feet are anatomically designed, and will fit your feet well, so don't go too heavy on the socks. I wear merino wool socks, or alpaca. You'll be surprised how comfortable you can stay with a good sock, and the neoprene foot inside your wading boots. If you try to cram too much in, your boots will be tight, and I guarantee your feet will feel cold.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats good to hear, Yes Im familiar with Merino wool, its hard to find and pricey but cant be beat for a insulating layer. A wicking layer like Polypro, insulating layer like Wool or fleece and then a windbreaker is hard to beat, I just want to make sure that being 6'1" #200 I buy large enough to be able to layer up if needed

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can check simmsfishing.com to make sure of your measurements for a proper fit. Also, I found my base layers on Ebay, and saved a few bucks.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I believe a tad bigger is better, E bay is good but Ive always used a place called Campmor for most of my camping and outdoor wear, items are at my door in a few days too. I rebought a new dome tent, mummy bag, stove etc last year and have used them the past 3 weekends and will camp/fish the next 2 also, when my October blitz is complete I will have camped in Ky 3 weekends, Ind 1 and will probably go to Rocky Fork Ohio the last weekend, Winters coming You know

·
Registered
751 Posts
I like the price of the LL Bean breathable Emerger at $180 although the Kennebec looks like much better quality for another $70 bucks, LL Beans satisfaction guaranteed warranty concerns me comparing it to what Simms offers, it looks like Simms will repair anytime for$40-$65 plus shipping, so I am thinking if I am going to spend $250 or so, Id like to have the piece of mind of having a better warranty.
ChuckNduck, do you think Simms headwaters while wearing long johns underneath would be sufficient to fish in say 25-60 degree weather?
I got the Kennebec waders and as I posted before really like them. I did get them 20% off which is offered pretty frequently on Bean. My father in law uses the Emergers. His wore out sometime between 7 and 10 years. They replaced them no questions asked. I have had to replace a couple of items from Bean over the years including a fly reel that broke. I usually have the replacement within 4 or 5 days, a week tops. They don't do repairs they just replace them, it is a no hassle satisfaction guarantee so it's up to you to decide, hopefully honestly, that the product met your satisfaction. I've heard simms does a great job on their repairs but they do take some time. And I've heard that they are pretty good about replacing items with new ones when they can't repair them any longer. You can only put new booties on waders so many times. I'm in my 3rd or 4th year using simms boots and really like them but will probably send them in this winter for repairs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,825 Posts
I'm looking for waders too and this is a timely thread. 4 years ago about this time, I found a pair of Hodgeman Guide Series waders on sale for $79. They were size XXL though. I only need the L size. It was funny though because all the extra room on the inside, would heat up from my body during the Winter days and keep me warmer. The legs and rear end would also blow up a bit and my kids would tease me saying my Butt looks big. Now they have a small hole in each leg and am looking for another pair. I never regretted the money spent though. If I spent more, I probably would try to fix them instead of going new.

I know from past reads on this site, that LL Bean has pleased many people especially when there is an issue down the line. I think I'm going in that direction now.
Rickerd

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you're looking for waders that will keep you warm, don't be afraid of waterfowl waders. Drake makes awesome waders. I've beat the snot out of me and they've totally been worth their weight in gold. Also very warm and dry.

·
Registered
968 Posts
i love my korkers boots i bought within the last year. very comfortable has the interchangeable sole. they came with sticky rubber and felt but have never actually put the felt on in the river.
I got a pair of Korkers two Christmases ago and this past February, the side blew out while fishing which was a big disappointment. I went to the website so I could contact them only to find out that the warranty was good for one year and that you had to have your receipt to prove the time of purchase. That was not good to see since my boys who bought me the boots did not have a receipt and that they were two years old so I chocked it up as a loss. On another forum, a person was asking for a boot recommendation and one poster said to purchase Korkers, I chimed in and shared my experience and would not recommend them. A representative from Korkers happened to read my response and encouraged me to call customer service regardless of my situation. I did call and they gave me full credit for my boots and I paid the difference for Devil's Canyon boots, probably the best boot they make and I have been totally satisfied since. Korkers are the most comfortable boot that I have owned and if you decide to get a pair do not purchase the low end boot, pay the a $60 extra for the top end boots, the difference you pay is money well worth it.

photo (1).JPG

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I had a pair of frogg toggs hell benders for $109 bucks that lasted 6 seasons and now I am on my second pair for season #3 - spend your money on the better foot wear/boots like the simms boots G3-

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're looking for waders that will keep you warm, don't be afraid of waterfowl waders. Drake makes awesome waders. I've beat the snot out of me and they've totally been worth their weight in gold. Also very warm and dry.
I'd sooner have a pair that aloud me to wear a pair of long johns underneath, that way I could dress according to the weather , I've got a pair of insulated hip wadders that don't breath and when you get hot it's miserable

·
V Fisher
204 Posts
I got a pair of Korkers two Christmases ago and this past February, the side blew out while fishing which was a big disappointment. I went to the website so I could contact them only to find out that the warranty was good for one year and that you had to have your receipt to prove the time of purchase. That was not good to see since my boys who bought me the boots did not have a receipt and that they were two years old so I chocked it up as a loss. On another forum, a person was asking for a boot recommendation and one poster said to purchase Korkers, I chimed in and shared my experience and would not recommend them. A representative from Korkers happened to read my response and encouraged me to call customer service regardless of my situation. I did call and they gave me full credit for my boots and I paid the difference for Devil's Canyon boots, probably the best boot they make and I have been totally satisfied since. Korkers are the most comfortable boot that I have owned and if you decide to get a pair do not purchase the low end boot, pay the a $60 extra for the top end boots, the difference you pay is money well worth it.

View attachment 221880
Flyman did you find them in the trash in PA that is where I left mine and they looked like your's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts