close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Check this out Bird vs Deer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joe01, Jan 22, 2008.

1. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

This is crazy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015

2. Fish2day

Fish2day member

That bird was released by the guy you barely catch a glimpse of at the start of the video. I bet the deer was too the way it shoots out of the brush. Crazy, yes. Sporting? I have my opinion.

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Well it was a cool video, but probably more contraversial then anything else.

flash--------------------------out

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

If there's any of those around my house, my dogs are toast.

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Actually I believe that video is of a golden eagle - not a hawk.
    BTW - they also use golden eagles to hunt fox and wolves!
    Their claws are so powerful they can crush a human skull like an egg!

One badazz birdy!

6. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

That was crazy....

7. Sorry !
    I find it a little pathetic.
    Someones idea of a cheap thrill ? ? ?

8. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Huh?

Falconry has been around since before the birth of Christ. It is an age-old tradition of using an animal to hunt prey. (Not unlike using bird dogs, coon dogs, horses etc.) You have to realize that the person in control of that bird probably has hundreds of hours in training it. Not to mention that while it is legal to hunt with birds of prey in the USA, it is highly regulated by both federal and state law and you have to put in years of training as an apprentice just to own a bird like that. (Wish they'd be that restrictive to the flocks of dimwitted gun hunters I see each year.)

FWIW - The deer was clearly jumped up out of that thicket and the falconer released the raptor to do its job. If he was standing there with a gun it would have been just as dead. I personally think it would take much more time and effort (thus more sporting) to train a bird to do that than to shoot it with a gun.