1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Is that Commodore? :D

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Part of me admires him.........the crazy stupid dump macho man part of me.

The rest of me sez: here's your sign! (handing him his very own "I'm stupid" sign)

I guess this would qualify as "Extreme Fishing".

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Seeing that it was was water and he is wearing a PFD I don't see it being that dangerous. After all if he is capable of running that yak out there in the waves I would assume he would be able to right himself in the yak to resume his journey. It seems like a good way to combine one's fishing urge with his exercise regimen.

I have run one of those yaks in open water on the ocean and it was a blast. I just don't know how much fishing I could have managed to get done in the process though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
i wonder what he was using. his GPS speed and loose his drags are??? LOL

definalty not dipsys....

ahh ... gotta give it to him.. that is the cheapest way i have seen to troll for walleye..

Frank

·
Registered
371 Posts
i saw a guy out of st. joe michigan paddling around the mouth of the river with a trolling rod across his lap fishing for summer run steelhead. i would have to believe he would have been in for the ride of his life when he hooked up with one of those fish since they average 14lbs!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Definetly deserves a "poster" award. Do that all summer and he'll be built like a brick house.

TightLines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
With gas prices the way they are, maybe he isn't all that stupid. :T Now only if I could find a horse and buggy capable of hauling a 21' Trophy and gear :D

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,158 Posts
Kayaks will handle some rough water - I actually like playing in good size waves.
I've been out with the perch pack off Rocky River in 3-5s, and felt perfectly comfortable.

·
out4dabig1
555 Posts
I wonder what kinda speed he's trolling at? and where the heck is he going to put the fish. he must have done allright, didn't hear about any body drowning last week

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I don't know about trying to fish, but the yak can definately handle that water. I have ocean kayak that is self bailing and I have been in big water in Lake Michigan in it with no problems - wet ride though:)

I have also paddled a 2 man yak in the ocean in Mexico in really nice waves - like steady 4-5's and had no problems crossing a 3.5 mile bay.

I take my ocean yak to the impound lakes here in Ohio and just love when the lake gets some wind and wake to make some nice whitecaps to play in.

Just always have that pfd on properly; especially in big water conditions!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, it's true - that's my husband out on the lake. He is quite the extremist and will go through extremes to catch fish. He got a kick out of the posts. Fortunately, he doesn't know what a 'Darwin Award' is, although I did clue him in.

To answer somebody's question - his GPS was set at 2.5 - 3 knots. His drag was light. He insists that he wasn't 2 miles out, but knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised!

By the way, he's been catching the Walleye like you wouldn't believe!

Here's the obligatory photo, and proof that it is, indeed, my husband. He's at work right now, but I'm sure he'll be posting here once he gets home.

Here is the photo that he took of his rig, before he went trolling.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts