close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Check out these great grilled Wings

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by captnroger, Aug 21, 2005.

1. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Ever since I tried the grilled wings at Barley's here in Columbus I've been trying to make a wing at home that tastes nearly as good. These are as close as I've come so far. A nice smokey taste with a good kick (not HOT, just good and warm) with a sweet tasting finish. I promise you'll like them. This recipe covers about 2-3lbs of wings.

2-3lbs of fresh (not frozen) wings

rub:
    1/8 cup garlic powder
    1/8 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup italian seasoning (or chicken grill seasoning will do)
    1/8 cup chilli powder
    1/8 cup sweet paprika
    1/8 cup dried rosemary (if not chopped fine then crush it as best you can)
    1-2 tablespoons of red pepper (cyanne, the powdered stuff not the red pepper flakes) to taste

sauce:
    1 cup red hot sauce
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1/2 stick of margerine
    several dashes of you favorite hot sauce to take.

Fire up your grill for indirect heat. I have a gas grill with two burners, so I turn the back burner on as low as it'll go and keep the front off. I can get down to a constant 225 this way which is what you want.

Rinse wings and cut into sections, disgarding the tips and blot dry with paper towels. Put the wings on a cookie sheet and sprinkle liberally with the rub, working it in with your fingers.

Start the sauce, combining everything in a saucepan under low heat until melted. You'll use this to baste the wings and what I did was to take an empty water bottle, put 3-4 holes in the top lid with a corkscrew, load up the sauce in the bottle and it worked great.

Put the wings on the grill on the unheated side. Throw a handfull of your favorite wood chips on the heat side. Smoke will follow! Cover and let smoke for 20 minutes. Open grill, toss one more handful of chips on the heat, and flip wings, hitting them good with the sauce.

From now on, keep the wings covered and flip them every 10 minutes, hitting them with the sauce each time. Keep the fire around 225 if you can, and it'll take 1-1/2 to 2 hours to cook, depending on the size of the wings.

I like to finish them off by turning on the burner right underneath them at the last 5 minutes of cooking to crisp them up. Talk about good eats. Nice and spicy with a sweet finish and a good amount of smoke.

Just let me know if you try them and how you like them please. Shake - try this man, you'll like it.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

that sounds great.. i'll have to print this out and try them.. thanks for sharing..
    shake.. if you make this, lemme know maan.. save me some time.. :p

3. I soak mine in Dales for a day or 2 cook on the grill then dip in bbq/hot sauce or serve as is.