close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Check out the Head on this one

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Cat Mazter, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I caught this on a minnow while crappie fishing a few years ago, It was 12lbs & 40 inch's long. Its head it huge but the rest of it .......Well you can see it. I wonder why it turned out like this ? Any Idea's ?

[​IMG]

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I've notived that alot of those are ket on that big rope stringer) how do you get that rope on thme, just cut a hole in their mouth?

3. H2O Mellon

That is definatly not a health looking fish. How many of those from Logan have you gotten? Hopefully the healthy ones outnumber the unhealthy.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Ed, I have noticed on alot of your pics the fish are on a stringer, even thought the pic says released? It does not matter to me one way or another, just curious.

5. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

Guys when Im fishing alone, Ill put the fish on a Stringer until I can get ahold of someone to get there and take pics of me with it. So I'll cut a very small hole in the Lip, Thats the only way I know to hold them until I can get someone there to take a Picture. I can "Horse shoe Tie them around the Big Barb's, But I have had some get off that way with out a Picture. They wont rip their own lip off to get away. Plus the hole will heals with no problems.

Guys I would not lie to anyone on here, All the Big ones get released, I only keep a few 5-10lb cats a year just to fry up. I do keep a few Saugeye too, Not too many, just enough for me.

No one has to beleive me , But I did release everything I said I did. I practice Catch & release with all my Bass, Crappie, Catfish, & Suageye. The suckers get cut up for bait & the Bluegill get used as Bait.

Im an honest person, Ill post a Pic of me letting them go too. I have an MPEG of the 35lb cat being let go, Ill post the pic off the 55lb being let go.

Mellon- Thats the first Cat I have ever saw like this, Very odd indeed. :confused:

Cat Mazter
    Here is the 55 lb Shovelhead Being let go.

[​IMG]

6. catking

catking Banned

I know quite a few guys who tie up their cats like that.. It's really not a problem to me... and your word is as good as gold ... Didn't doubt it for a second and these othere guys were not either... Just being nosey nates... :D Good for you !!! C&R ............. Rick

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

It's a giant tadpole, commonly mistaken for a catfish.... :rolleyes:
    It might have an obstruction in it's gullet. Like those surgeries they do to make you lose weight. Only maybe something is lodged in it & it's too big to pass. If you are brave and ever catch it again, you might try to slip your hand down into it & see. I know guys who do that to remove belly hooked fish. They let the fish swallow the bait all the way, then reach in to remove it. ;)

Has to be a big fish of course, that's what they target, big live baits too. :F

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Some guys run the rope thru the mouth and thru one gill opening. I've slit holes in them before too, for weighing them after I had one fall off a scale. They do heal up, you can tell by the ones with all the scars from spawning.

9. Is it better to cut a hole and put a rope through the mouth than it is to go out the gill? I would think you damage to a gill would be more serious than a small hole in the bottom lip. Not like I have ever caught one big enough to worry about:rolleyes: Heck I could use a piece of thread to tie mine up.

10. Ive read before that when you hold a fish long ways by the lower jaw it can seperate there vertabrate(Spelling?) . Ive seen pictures of muskie with a big hump I dont know if this fish was caught before and held up for pics. to cause ths condition or not. The experts say not to hold big fish by the jaw but to cradle them, I know Im guilty as most everyone on this site is by looking at the pictures. Maybe we need to focus on this since we are doing alot better on C&R....Abu65

11. H2O Mellon

I guess I can see how a rope through the lip would be less harful that a big rope or large stringer through the gills. Hey, I just learned something new.

12. catking

catking Banned

I believe JimmydaCat hit the nail on the head.. This cat probably has something lodged in it's intestines. Could be a hook or anything else. I've seen this before , in fact , quit a few times in my parents lake . Seems when a big flatty breaks off, sometimes the hook gets caught in it's intestines and it cannot digest the right amount of food. You can indeed stick your arm all the way down into that area and feel to se if thee is something there ;) But for the most part , once a cat gets to this point, there is no turning back. It's body has already begun to shut down. Sorta like a starving dog . It will reach a point of no return........... ;) THE CATKING !!!

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

My friend who is a photographer keeps them like that untill morning so he can get quality photographs of the fish to sell, then he releases them. He claims that it doesn't do any harm to the fish, and he claims to have never killed any because of it.

He was with me the night I caugh that 43 lb fish, even though the camera wasn't operating, he wanted to string it up untill morning hoping the camera would work smoothly. I declined, not wanting to even risk the health of the fish... but a lot of guys do do it, just not me :)

Probably not a bad idea keeping that deformed fish, might as well get it out of the gene pool :D