Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 2002 Johnson 40 - 2 stroke - oil injected outboard motor. My check engine light along with alarm is coming on. The weird thing is when I started it up in driveway with hose and muffs on , nothing happens. I took it to the lake today and as soon as I started it, the light and alarm came on. Usually the volt meter sits at 14. Now (and only sometimes) it will read around 10 volts then jump to approximately 14.5 volts. After the alarm stops, the check engine light stays on. I tried to read code on the light but it was too erratic. Now it won’t flash in drive way to get code at all. Any one have any ideas or good mechanics shop? I live in Norton. Thanks in advance for any ideas

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
the only thing i can think of is when hooked to muffs it has pressure going to the water pump. when your setting in the water no pressure to the pump. the impeller could be going bad.

the alarm could be causing the drop in voltage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only thing i can think of is when hooked to muffs it has pressure going to the water pump. when your setting in the water no pressure to the pump. the impeller could be going bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sherman
I replaced the impeller this spring. It has a strong stream of water shooting out. It’s giving me a code ( flashing check engine light) now but I can’t make out what it is☹

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
is that check engine actually flashing the code or simply flashing? the voltage thing suggests a loose connection somewhere..is the oil system workin ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sherman
I replaced the impeller this spring. It has a strong stream of water shooting out. It’s giving me a code ( flashing check engine light) now but I can’t make out what it is☹
I also checked volts at battery. 12-13 with motor off. 14-15 with it running. Evidently my fluke doesn’t give tenths of volts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Busted rod, I’m not sure now that you asked that. I thought it was giving a code but there’s some really quick flashes. It stays on for 20-30 seconds then starts that flashing sequence. I’ll try to post video of it on here. Yep my oil system is fine. It has low oil, no oil, hot and check engine lights. Sorry I can’t figure out how to post the video I took of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts