Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello thank you for reading. I'm going down to the Cheat over Labor Day weekend. I have never fished and I have managed to figure out how and where to access her.

Where my questions come from is well let me preface by saying I'm used to fishing big water and some of those rivers I fish have class I - V rapids. I use common sense and I'm very aware of my surroundings. Does anyone here through either floating, fishing, or being an all around weather nerd know about what c.f./s readings they prefer for this river? The reason I'm asking is my timing might be during a few rain events. I have other creeks and rivers I can fish if this happens with a higher graidient. I'm just looking to have a good old fashion conversation. We can have out here in the open or message me and we can go from there.
Thank you again folks,

Sonder

·
Registered
18 Posts
So the Cheat fishes best, or the best water for fishing I should say, is between about 800 and1500, the cheat is 99% smallmouth fishing, from Parsons down to Rowlesburg there is only class one and class two through that area, if you were going to camp I would set up at Blackwater Outdoor Adventures, you can get shuttles from there up to Parsons, or up to Holly Meadows bridge 11 miles and 8 miles respectively, and float right back down to black water outdoors, super nice river, I usually throw flukes on EWG hook weightless, the colors are pumpkin seed watermelon red and watermelon, I will be there this Labor Day weekend and usually camp up beside the old buses, Not in the campground, I have a green RMR Raft you won’t miss me, the water is up which is great, for this time of year, hopefully it won’t be too browned, if there’s something else I can help you with, be happy to, I fish it every other weekend through the summer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I really appreciate the info. She's at 2,880 c.f./s. There is more rain coming and who knows what will happen. I'm leaving my fishing gear at home and just going to hike n take photos. I'm gonna look at the access along the Cheat. I will see the wonder and splendor the river has to offer. I'm sure the kayakers will have fun. Again thank you and I will go in the late fall to see if I can see a few trout.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I really appreciate the info. She's at 2,880 c.f./s. There is more rain coming and who knows what will happen. I'm leaving my fishing gear at home and just going to hike n take photos. I'm gonna look at the access along the Cheat. I will see the wonder and splendor the river has to offer. I'm sure the kayakers will have fun. Again thank you and I will go in the late fall to see if I can see a few trout.
So I would still take my fishing gear, I know it’s supposed to rain some more, but if it doesn’t get much it will drop 1000 feet overnight, it will easily be down in a 15 or 1600s by Saturday, also it doesn’t get real brown like it does here and it is a very clear river, So it’s also been running big for a few days and it will clear itself even running big, I will call and ask how it looks and update you, but I would definitely take my fishing gear

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I would still take my fishing gear, I know it’s supposed to rain some more, but if it doesn’t get much it will drop 1000 feet overnight, it will easily be down in a 15 or 1600s by Saturday, also it doesn’t get real brown like it does here and it is a very clear river, So it’s also been running big for a few days and it will clear itself even running big, I will call and ask how it looks and update you, but I would definitely take my fishing gear
So I just talked to them down there on the river, and they said it had cleared up even though all the rain this week, But has turned brown again today from all the hard rain,but they were sure that it would be clear enough to fish again by Saturday, so there’s that, also there’s three rivers that feed the cheat ,shavers fork ,the dry forks of Hendrix ,and the black water river, usually all are not running brown at the same time, and all three are Very wadeable ,and floatable with fairly easy access so again, I wouldn’t leave my fishing stuff at home also I just looked at the parsons gauge and it’s only showing 2200, just now I wonder if you’re looking at the gauge at Alldredge, which was showing about 2900, which is very different it’s like 40 miles downstream and there’s a lot of creeks that come in during that time so that’s a much different number than the gauge at Parsons, which for the most part would be the number that she would use from Parsons down to Rowlesburg

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks but no thanks to much volume for me. I will take a hike along tis banks get to know it. I will take some photos of it and see how it looks. lol if there is one thing I have learned in my short life on this Earth while fly fishing is someones definition of being fishable is not the same as my own "lol". So with that said I really apprciate your time and info, but I will take a pass on the feeshin. On another note if you ever get up around the Great Lakes for steelhead and or salmon let me know since I live up here!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol i will be taking 100's of pics of the access n the area with a post here and more on my blog i will also be going to be taking pictures around the state parks n things!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..well folks it was a no go for me. I went to my families deer camp for two days and did not look at the Cheat except from the bridge. as I suspected she was not even close to being fishable IMHO. Sundays conditions where marginal at best. I'm gonna return in the early fall to see what I can get into if steelhead are slow in NY. So again I'm sorry, but I will make up for it. On the other hand the kyakers looked to be having fun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and another note leaves where falling all weekend and the tulip poplar trees are turning yellow already! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts