cheap fly hooks?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by ryosapien, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

anyone know a good site to pick up cheap tying hooks? i am loosing so many flies i need to do some tying

2. Hmmm your money is in your hooks youngman! I would not spend the money in gas for a weekkend or not eat out at Rays place for a week so I could have good hooks!

3. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

i know i know dang it i hate it when you make sense

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

You could use Eagle Claw hook, but I buy the best dam hook I can find! Know why it is because when you do get to tangle with big fish and I had to many time used cheap hook which either break(brittle) or bend to easy. I am phasing out most of my hook to Daiichi and Gamakatsu. These brands are so sharp and stay sharp after using. I can understand losing them in the trees and rocks, it happens to all of us. But it pays not to skimp and not to have your butt kicked!

5. there are a few techniques to get the fly from a hangup. i walk upstream from hangup and pull on the fly. 7 times out of 10 it works. or if i am really frustrated and really like the fly, i would wade as far as i can to get it back. on the hooks, definitely get the good stuff

6. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Definitely not the area you wanna scrimp on cash,buy the best hooks you can as it is what connects you to the fish. Cheap hooks bend open more easily and get dull quicker as their metal is softer ,and,in the end,will cost you fish.I don't think landing less fish is your goal.
    Dai-riki makes good hooks for less $ than tiemco.Bass pro has Do-it hooks which are made by Mustad but they are mostly spinnerbait and jig hooks that you can use for larger streamers.TC1

7. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

typically my flies don't make it long enough to get dull lol. i am not looking for crappy hooks just good hooks at a decent price. thanks for the info guys let's wrap this one up.

8. I'd look into buying Daiichi hooks (high quality & sharp) in the 100 hook packs. When you buy the 100 hook boxes they are usually equal to the price of 3 25 hook packs...(buy 3 packs get 1 free basically). I look to local shops first for my hooks and materials so I can't recommend any websites for you. Check out shops in your area or do some Google searching. Recently the Gander Mountain in my area had all kinds of Kamasan hooks (AWESOME hooks but more expensive) in their clearance bin for less than half the normal price. I had to really dig through all the other crap there to find them, but it was well worth it to get that kind of deal. If you have a Gander Mountain anywhere near you check their clearance bin, but if it's not on clearance then it's most likely overpriced in that store.

John

9. try cheaper flies....you only need two materials to tie a caddis, dubbing an v-rib or two colors of dubbing, white and olive zonker strips, and several colors of yarn for eggs(though you can get away with only using &$#*&*&^ the best color lol.
    simple flies catch tons of fish and you dont need to break the bank buying 400 materials that some loony recomends for his secret fly. hooks are the only expensive material I buy.

I forgot, buy one dubbing box that has a dozen colors of Ice dubbing for $12, it will last for hundreds of flies.

10. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Kamason hooks are really nice but hard to find the right type. Also Dai Riki Hooks are really nice also and come in 50 packs for about 6 bucks.

11. ryosapien

ryosapien Bad@

i tie my caddis with green caddis ice dub (awesome stuff as it frays giving the illusion of legs making it more buggy) and a couple head wraps of black ostrich herl. Maybe a black bead head.