close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cheap digital camera

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by catlover, Feb 26, 2005.

1. catlover

catlover Banned

Just for giggles we got a digital cam at family dollar. Came with software, cable and batteries, for under 20bux. Not super resolution but it works.
    Catz

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Okay, post a picture.....I'd like to see one.
    Here's the first flower I've seen outdoors this year, pushing thru the snow. I was really surprised & had to get my camera out. Digitals are great, you can take pictures you would normally never shoot. :)
    [​IMG]
    Here's the same shot in the big version(click) I put in in that way as to save space in the post. :cool:

3. catlover

catlover Banned

And if I drop mine in the mighty Ohio, I'll be a lot less upset. I brought it up because I have seen several posts over time, by folks bemoaning a lack of such an item. I was meant fill a void, not to put Piccasso out of business.
    If you feel better, yours is bigger than mine, Jim
    Catz

Btw Jim I cant even figure how to post a pic. All I get is the zoom/rotate fuction. What ever happened to copy/paste, lol. We tried a few pictures and I"ll say they are better than polaiod-one step. One sad fact-no flash.

4. I bought a canon A75 for $150.00 at Office Max a couple weeks ago and its awesome... Not allot of money and it is easy to use...

5. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

bought a digirex at sear after x-mas 3.2 MP , flash, removable med., TV out, and its a web cam....$40....id post a pic but the largest file I can upload is 39.1K the lowes res pic on my camera is 74k...but be asured it is just as nice as the pic above

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Attached Files:

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

thats the way to do it go cheap but good picture and keep it in the truck and boat thats what all my pics come from a cheap one from walmart spent $100 on it and its all beat up and scratched from sliding around in the boat every year.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Heres a pic from lake erie the weekend of the hawg roast in sept. Man iam itching now going to the big pond 1st weekend in may.
    [​IMG]

9. Very well put Jim...

10. mrfishohio

I think there's alot more to consider than just the initial price. My Sony was a little high initially compared to others (DSC-S85) it can do about anything. Mostly I just use it in point & shoot...all automatic. It does have the options there if I went far enough in school I could understand :rolleyes:
    It can take nightshots, but you need a tripod as the shutter might be open 3-10 seconds. Also I can take movies with it up to the capacity of my memory card ( you can get them off ebay for much less than the stores- same with the batteries)
    Anyway, here's what I'm trying to get at with digital. You don't have to buy film, you never pay for developing, never have to buy batteries. With my old point & shoot 35MM it cost a fortune, and the pictures weren't that great either. I guess it's a redundant arguement digital vs. film, but I do run into it at times.
    I've incurred no additional cost since I got my camera 3 years ago, other than I got a spare 128MB memory stick for it off ebay for $20 ( once in a while I use up the whole stick, not often, but when I shot the church picnic I did.) The camera has a little flap I just plug the charger cord into & it's ready to go quickly.
    I go with Sony because they are very user friendly and have a very good quality rating, both of the cameras and the quality of the pictures. This is y second & neither one has ever been to the shop. My MVC-fd81 still works great, other than the LCD screen has some distortion because it got wet on the floor of the boat once. Not just a sprinkle either, it was in it's bag, but had dropped on the floor, i was washing the floor, pouring buckets of water in the bow with the bilge pump on. About 2 hours later I discovered my camera bag had slipped onto the floor & was soaked. So that's "pilot error" :eek:

11. That is a great looking boat and fish. :rolleyes: :p :D :D

12. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hey mrfishohio i also have a dsc-s85.... man i love that camera... its awesome..

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thats Reefstalkers Boat he has a great boat and provides great customer service and trips on lake erie. Trust me. He has a link at the top of our page if anyone wants to check him out this year. He will get you on the fish.

14. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Uh, OK... but I can take pictures I would normally never take with my film camera. The true question is, why would I? I know, it's cheaper. Are you related to Yogi Berra?
    You guys keep posting these pictures to show us how great this camera is but most monitors can only resolve 72 dpi anyway. There are many things to consider when buying a camera. Those cheap point and shoot 35mm probably have cheap plastic lenses so you're in trouble before the light even hits the film. Same for many digitals but they have software that can help the image. Optical zoom is better than digital and more expensive. If you make high end prints from digital images they can get pricey too. Negs will be around for a while whereas digital files can be lost quite easily, been there. $20 for a digital camera sounds hard to beat. Buy only features you need. When I drop my $200 camera in the water I'm going to be upset. I had a used Nikon point and shoot 35mm that I paid $5 for and took fishing, it took great pictures, until I dropped it in a pond, now its part of my collection of shelf sitters.

15. HUH ???
    What the hey are you talking about? LMAO
    What Jim was talking about is you can shoot 1000's of photos with a digital and not pay to develope a single one to view them either on your computer or thru the window on the back if available... With a 35mm you must develope the film first to do same...
    In todays world you can save your photos to disc to server to photo storage online you pay for... Much better then negs saved in a drawer... You can even upload them here and save them in original size... Don't get any better then that bro [​IMG]

16. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

you you can store hundreds even thousands of pics. on ONE CD-R witch cost what about 5-10 cents and you have them to print IF you want....sounds like bargin to me

17. catlover

catlover Banned

Anyway that was interesting. We learned from Jim how to post pix(which I for one needed-even though our kind mods moved the thread and I can't access it any more). Thanks again, Jim.
    I only brought it up because for 20bux I thought it might be handy to throw in a tackle box and forget about untill needed. I thought it was a good deal.
    Catz

18. mrfishohio

Yup, yup......I agree, it takes a nice pix for $20 it will open up a whole new world for sure.
    Film vs. digital.....I don't think it's an arguement anymore. I've heard even Kodak isn't going to make film cameras anymore. I was just showing why digital is so much more economical, I've never had to purchase a battery, I'm recharging the same one that came with it (new in Jan 2002-Santee Cooper trip) Only upgrade was for the 128 MB stick, it came with a 16MB which is fine for most people maybe, but it's real easy to shoot lots more when you have the capacity. That's what I meant by shooting pictures you normally wouldn't. How many times I needed a flash & my batteries were dead in my 35mm...also I would only have 2 or 3 more shots left in the camera, or I'd want to see the pictures and still have 15 more shots left on the roll. Now I can shoot a few, or several hundred..all on one charge (free) and one 128MB stick, I have a spare 128MB stick along with the 16MB that came with it.
    If you calculate the cost of film, the cost of developing, the cost of batteries & figure how much it really costs, not to mention droping off & picking up, or mailing & waitng & waiting. It costs alot...in money and time. With the digital, you have the one time investment, while it's true technology marches on, it's just taking a picture, you get a nice one now, even if you replace it in 2 years, it will save more in 6 months to pay for itself vs. the film camera. Also here's even the best arguement, it's already digital, you don't have to have them converted or scanned, and you can manipulate the exposure thru software that is user friendly and of course the storage going onto a CD is much better than saving old film negatives. You can make a few copies if you worry about that sort of thing, not a bad idea, store one elsewhere in case of a fire. Make nice presents too. Of scourse, most camera shoot mpegs (movies) too. :)
    Dropping one over? I've never done that ...yet. Even if I did, I have insurance.

19. mrfishohio

The "How to..." post was moved to here (click). It's closed, but you can still read all the info, you just can't add onto it. If you still have any questions, just re-read it & pay special attention to the pictures. I see Skipjack figured it out too. :)
    It's a Skicky in News & Events........might even be nice to post a link to it from the member's galleries?? :confused:

20. catlover

catlover Banned

Thanks Jim I couldn't find it. My wife was having problems with pix and I thought it would help. It was still under general discussions, but locked out. We do apprciale the help.
    I saw how you tweaked that low-lite sample I put up. I tried this freeware app. . The bargin cam had only contrast/briteness editing options. Not very good. You seem pretty sharp on this stuff. Is this worth playing around with. It has a nice tutorial and some pretty neat editing options.

http://www.vicman.net/vcwphoto/

Again thanks.
    Catz