Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we dont get decent ice where can I find info on how good the ice is at Chautauqua lake and hotels?bait? I gotta get on ice this year.thanks for any info.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just booked an AirBnB for Feb 5-7 up there in Mayville. The south end is starting to lock up pretty good with the shore still being sketchy. I plan on fishing the north end up out of Mayville or Long Point, so I'm hoping it has ice by then. Their 10-day is looking good, so I'm not too worried. I've been following the Facebook group "Chautauqua Lake Ice And Open Water Fishing" for my info.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yup I follow the same group as he does for my reports. Hogans but also posts reports from time to time. This is late for them not to have ice, but the forecast looks favorable. People have been on burtis bay on the south end for a week or 2 but it sounds like there is not much catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Angry hillbilly
1,231 Posts
People that spray their yards with killers and fertilizers then it runs off into the water helping the water get clearer promoting more weeds to grow causes light to penetrates deeper! Plus with less ice covering the last 3 plus years the weeds have not died as much! I look at Hogan’s hut page plus my girlfriend lives up there!😉

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm making a day trip to fish the south end this Saturday. We booked a place to stay up there Jan 29-31. As mentioned above the south end is pretty locked up and solid. Weather is favorable to fish more of the lake by the long weekend.

·
Registered
990 Posts
People that spray their yards with killers and fertilizers then it runs off into the water helping the water get clearer promoting more weeds to grow causes light to penetrates deeper! Plus with less ice covering the last 3 plus years the weeds have not died as much! I look at Hogan’s hut page plus my girlfriend lives up there!😉
I'm seeing that the sound end is actually lacking weeds. Wouldn't weed killer promote weed decay in a lake? I won't know for certain until we check it out, but I've been seeing the weeds have been hard to come by on Chautauqua.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just booked an AirBnB for Feb 5-7 up there in Mayville. The south end is starting to lock up pretty good with the shore still being sketchy. I plan on fishing the north end up out of Mayville or Long Point, so I'm hoping it has ice by then. Their 10-day is looking good, so I'm not too worried. I've been following the Facebook group "Chautauqua Lake Ice And Open Water Fishing" for my info.
Awesome. How does that work with PA Covid rules, where out of state people have to get tested before staying and quarantine 3 days at hotel? Are businesses just ignoring those? Just curious, as I want to do what you are doing.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,231 Posts
I'm seeing that the sound end is actually lacking weeds. Wouldn't weed killer promote weed decay in a lake? I won't know for certain until we check it out, but I've been seeing the weeds have been hard to come by on Chautauqua.
Not sure if weed killer kills weeds of the water kind? Different killers kill different weeds and so on! Look up what phosphorus does to the water! Other problem with sometimes killing good weeds is bad weeds take over that don’t hold fish like coontail water cabbage.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not sure if weed killer kills weeds of the water kind? Different killers kill different weeds and so on! Look up what phosphorus does to the water! Other problem with sometimes killing good weeds is bad weeds take over that don’t hold fish like coontail water cabbage.
Of course. You make a good point on certain killers aim at certain weeds and who knows what that does to the vegetation in the lake. I hope we can find SOME weeds while we are there.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Awesome. How does that work with PA Covid rules, where out of state people have to get tested before staying and quarantine 3 days at hotel? Are businesses just ignoring those? Just curious, as I want to do what you are doing.
Not really sure to be honest. I booked my AirBnB and the host can see where I'm from, and didn't say a word. I went to the Niagara area this summer and camped, and any of the places that we went to despised the governor of NY. The small businesses need all the help they can get, so they don't mind any visitor willing to stop by and spend a few bucks. I plan to buy my license online, then go to Hogans Hut for everything else I need, so I really won't be in contact with anyone.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,231 Posts
Of course. You make a good point on certain killers aim at certain weeds and who knows what that does to the vegetation in the lake. I hope we can find SOME weeds while we are there.
Another problem with less weeds fish are getting hammered more cause there are less places to hide! More concentrated! Dink perch a major issue too! A local told me the Shad and alewives population is non existing any more! Not sure on that fact

·
Registered
990 Posts
Another problem with less weeds fish are getting hammered more cause there are less places to hide! More concentrated! Dink perch a major issue too! A local told me the Shad and alewives population is non existing any more! Not sure on that fact
That's a bummer! Are any lakes getting better anymore? Always hear about lakes getting worse...

Either way - I'll be more than happy to catch dink perch all day if that's what's coming. Haven't been out yet all year. Thanks Brad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last year on my trip to long point i caught so many dink perch it wasnt funny. Every time i dropped a jigging rap down they were on it instantly. Bigger fish came from in the weedbed

·
Registered
690 Posts
Came here to post the forecast - it looks good for making ice. Then saw posts on a FB group that they got 8-10" of snow yesterday...

Anyone going up this weekend or next?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts