Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fish finder is definatly dated and does not seem to be to accurate, plus it has no GPS function... Im in the market for a combo, Im on a 21ft boat so looking for internal antenna. Heres what Im looking at..

Garmin
GPSMAP® 440s Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo

LOWRANCE
M68C S/Map Fishfinder Chartplotter

HUMMINBIRD
383C Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo

Any other models Im open to hear about as well, this will be used primarily on Lake Erie and some of the inland lakes and rivers as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I dont know about the Lowrance but I have a Hummingbird 363 and a Garmin 498C and I can say the Garmin is much easier to use. You can probally find the manuals on line to help you decide.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My goal is to have chartplotting abilities, and be able to accurately mark fish while im moving.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have a hummin bird 700 series. and love it. It marks fish while moving its color display. Look at the 788ci Combo. internal gps attenna and has chart plotting.

I looked at lowerance to replace the lowerance I had when I bought the boat but they only keep parts for them for so long. Mine was 7 years old and couldn't be fixed. They do make a good product though

·
Amphibious Mobile
136 Posts
I Say The Garmin,Been Readin Up On Them,You Can Add An Extra Antenna To Them ( like 140 sumthin)And Get Xm Radio Marine Weather And onboard NEXRAD Radar (Thought That Was Way Cool) and you can transmit your numbers to other boats with It.Im Waiting On Congress To Approve A Spending Bill So I Can Get One For My Boat(She's Bein Cheap) U Can Read More On Garmin Website.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My friend had an older Garmin chartplotter/sounder combo. He loves the GPS part of the Garmin, the sonar part, not so much. He bought a separate Lowrance unit to supplement the Garmin and has been much happier.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
My goal is to have chartplotting abilities, and be able to accurately mark fish while im moving.
hkg, marking fish when running does have something to do with the unit, but it also has a lot to do with transducer quality and placement. If you want to mark fish at cruise you need to make sure you get a high quality transducer and good rigging.
I have an older Garmin GPS/Sonar and the sonar does OK but doesn't measure up to better sonars. I'm not sure about the newer digital Garmin sonar. Garmin has a great GPS but there are better sonar units.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hkg, marking fish when running does have something to do with the unit, but it also has a lot to do with transducer quality and placement. If you want to mark fish at cruise you need to make sure you get a high quality transducer and good rigging.
I have an older Garmin GPS/Sonar and the sonar does OK but doesn't measure up to better sonars. I'm not sure about the newer digital Garmin sonar. Garmin has a great GPS but there are better sonar units.
Agree.. My boat is a straight Inboard so would i want to mount the transducer in front of the prop? My current location is toward the under the engine behind the prop and a bit off to the side. however my hull is not a V but a more flat surface as the boat is more geared for wakeboarding (Malibu VLX) I know I know its not at all a fishing boat but I have to make due until maybe next season when I can upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts