Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any information about Charles Mills. I was heading to Columbus a few weeks ago and saw the sign off of 71. I'm going to go check it out this spring. Any one ever fished it? I have searched through this site for information but I haven't been able to find much. Thanks for the help. By the way I would most likely target crappie. But I also would like to catch my first Hybrid bass if they indeed to have them.

thanks

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ive fished it twice two years ago. Only thing I caught was a sheephead on a craw.

I personally dont like the lake because fishing from the shore is really really limited. There is some spots inside the marina area but you have to pay to get in. Its pretty much useless in there as well.

I only ended up fishing the little dam spillway area. I saw some big fish but it coulda been carp or what not. This is where I caught the sheephead.

There might be better spots from shore if you spend more time but I personally didnt want to take the time to travel there since I got skunked first and second time plus its like a hour and half drive from Akron.

If you have a boat it might be worth it. If I want wipers I go to the Ohio River.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I fish this lake in the summer time and do pretty good catfishing, I have had some really good days catching some big cats there. Also the spillway is good for S-eyes and cats also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information legendaryyaj and fishingislife. By the way I do have a small 14ft boat. I didn't think it was a particularly popular lake because I dont hear very much about it. That being said, I am interested in catching a saugeye I have never caught one before. So i might try that. Anyone with more information please fill in. thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have fished Charles Mill several times and have done excellent on the crappie. This time of the year is the best though. Start out at the docks and just start fishing around the edges at any sign of cover. As for saugeye, your best bet is to go down the road to Pleasant Hill. Bout a 15-20 minute drive from Charles Mill. Also, I have caught some Hybrids while fishing for crappie but none with any size.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I live about 3 miles from C.M. I think its a very good bass and crappie lake as well as catfish.Before this cold snap I took 30 crappies on a sunday then took a friend on tuesday ,he took home 40 a very good average size.I never left the marina.Last year I caught a 4 lb 7 oz Large mouth in may on a jig.A 10 horse limit keeps things pretty quiet.P.M. me for more info I would love to help!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charles mill,
Crappie, good in the river in the spring up along 603 and Crider Road. Walk the area and you'll find out what I am talking about. The lake is good around the marina too dipping in the trees.

Cats, one of the best lakes for numbers with the occasional 10+ caught during the summer.

Bass, the bays in the area of the marina get hit hard, but don't rule out the main lake, especially the south end.

Wipers, try liver fished on the bottom, then hold on for a ride if you get a decent one.

Saugeyes, well they just don't talk much about it except the spillway. But they are caught in the main lake, just not enough anglers target them.

Trapper

BTW best bait for crappies in the spring is a 2" twister tail under a small bobber. Experiment with colors.

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Bought my boat from C.M. this year . Took a tour of the lake ( very shallow ) looks promising . The mech. and boat salesman ( Nick ) said lake was a excellant bass and a great crappie lake. Maybe that was just a sales pitch . LOL . Did show me some hot spots nothing special . Tips of land drop offs and a few brush piles .Normal places you would find bass/crappies . Did see some pics of nice cats that were caught there .

·
Registered
475 Posts
trapper, if you are who I think you are, thanks for the tips last week. Jon and I caught a bunch of crappie around the marina on the 2" twisters on a 3/32 oz head under the float.

BTW, you are not allowed to fish from the docks, and you will be asked (politely) to stop. I thought that rule was for the summer when the docks are busy and full of boats, but nope.

Looks like it's time to get a boat

·
Registered
317 Posts
You probably got the info from me.They dont like people on the docks sometimes you can get away with it.Fishing from aboat is the way to go for the dock fishingGlad you caught some Crappies!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts