close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

charging trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by picktowndad, Jul 31, 2007.

1. picktowndad

picktowndad share the joy of fishin

I just got back into fishing from a boat and bought a 1981 basstrackerIII. I have a question on charging my deep cycle troller battery.The batteries are in the same compartment as the 2 6 gal steel gas tanks. What is the safe and proper way to charge the trolling battery. Can i just use my regular charger on deep cycle 2 amp or do I need to buy one I see in the stores for mounting in boats? I am worried about the gas tank located close to the batteries. Thanks for any help.

2. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

My batteries are next to the gas tank too. I use a regular (not built-in) charger and have no problems. I don't plug the charger in or turn it on until I make the connections on the battery. I've had no sparks doing it this way. I use the 2 amp setting and try to charge the battery ASAP after fishing, this extends the life of the battery. I used to not charge the battery until just before I went out - big mistake - dead battery in one season.
    Brian

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

an onboard charger would be worth the little cost.both for convenience and added safety.the leads would be more secure than the standard alligator clips on regular chargers,eliminating the chance of getting jarred loose and creating a spark.add to that,the convenience of just plugging it in when you park the boat.no more dragging cords and chargers around or worrying about them being accidentally disconnected.remember to always leave the compartment open for adequate ventilation and charge asap after each use.