close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

charging batteries

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dblbrldave, May 10, 2005.

1. Hi fellow fisherman. I have not been able to find the to this question so I thought I would ask to see if anyone here could answer it.
    I have a 14' boat and fish a lot on electric only waters. When I am on elec only water, I run 2 deep cycles in parallel with 6awg for my 12v motors to give me twice the run time. I recharge them with a portable battery charger. I always unhook them and recharge them seperatly.
    What I would like to know is if unhooking them is necessary or can I just connect the battery charger to opposing posts and charge both at once????

I thought about an onboard charger but don't really have the room for one.

any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave

2. I had a 12 volt system until this past winter when I upgraded to 24 volt. I also had two deep cycles that were connected to a 6 amp single bank charger. The leads were set up as you mentioned, one to battery A's (+) post, and the other to battery B's (-) post. Seemed to work fine even not slow.

Eric

3. Yes it will work find, but your charger should be capable of at least 20 amps for maximum battery life.

4. jimofcfd

jimofcfd Member

You can leave your batteries hooked together and hook to either positive and either negative, they are all the same points electrically. The only issue that you may have when charging this way is that if one battery comes to a full charge before the other, you will continue to cook it and not see the problem. That is why the fancy onboard chargers have separate banks for each battery.