close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Charged for being ignorant?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Remember earlier this winter when we had the flooding real bad? The 2 people who thought they would ride the rapids below O'shay reservoir and some of us were talking on here about how they should have to pay for the cost of the rescue effort?
    This story was on NBC4.com and thought some would like to read it. By the way I agree with the officials on this.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4253445/detail.html

2. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

sounds good to me...i just hope they use a little compation for those who do have a streek of misfourtne

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I agree 100% with charging for ignorance like that. I've skied Killington many times, and have ducked under the ropes on occasion. You get into backcountry like that, you best know what your doing. If you need bailed out, you're risking everyone's life that comes out to rescue you. Kinda like guys getting pulled off Erie. If you're willing to take the chance (it's a choice, not an accident to put yourself at risk under those conditions), then if you need rescued you should be responsible for the cost.

If anything, I bet those kids don't go out of bounds again.

4. I read somewhere that the group who were rescued from Lake Erie will be charged 45,000.00 by the Coast Guard for being rescued. How in the world would the average guy pay it back???? bankruptcy?? Granted, its stupid to be in that predicament but??? :eek: :rolleyes:

5. I suspect that was 45k for the group. There were around 30 so it's not like they have to cough up their first born.
    I think it likely that many would think twice before going out if they knew they would have to spend their own money instead of making the rest of the taxpayers pay for their own folly. Charge for a rescue? Of course. Call it a users fee.

6. Even if they are never forced to actually pay the money I would be willing to bet it runs through the minds of the next group that thinks about going under the ropes.

Scott

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

They will not be charged for the rescue on Erie.

There is NO provision for the coastgaurd to charge for a rescue anywhere, anytime.