close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Channels on Topwaters

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by NewbreedFishing, Aug 25, 2004.

1. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Man I was on a roll last night. The cats were chasing a fast twitched floating rapala like a largemouth. Landed 3 over 22" but had several follows and huge boils. Ripped the hell out of my thumb but no pain no gain
    FUN STUFF :eek:

Did manage a few bass between the alley cats :cool:

NewbreedFishing
    RAWK

2. Last time my son and I were out at Findley Lake we caught a number of channels on surface and cranks retrieved just below the surface. Had a lot of fun. :)

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Man I don't know how you guys do it. I mean catching cats like it is nothing!??? :p

I wish I could catch anything let alone be able to catch a cat on topwater! :)

4. Several years back when I was just learning to toss a baitcaster without a disastrous backlash on every cast I remember a similar incident. I was fishing a small lake with jitterbug using my new baitcaster at night. To eliminate risk of spooking the fish I was moving around the lake without a flashlight. Well I went to make a cast and wouldn't you know it I backlashed.:eek: As I was struggling with clearing the mess by the pale moonlight my jitterbug was floating only a few feet in the water. This whole time it was pretty quiet and peaceful until - you guessed it. A big old channel cat decided to slam my lure not more than 15 feet away. I still had not cleared the mess on the reel so I lowered the rod and grabbed the line and brought the 25" channel cat in hand over hand. That was a real treat and even a bigger surprise when I saw what I had actually caught. Up to that point we had not caught a catfish from this lake.

Topwater action is hard to beat regardless of the species.:D

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I got a nice 8lb channel a couple weeks ago on a shad rap. The trick to catching them is to crank the rapala down...then pause...let it rise...then lightly tap it twice then repeat....deadly for channels/flatheads....or you can just leave it on the top, twitch it a couple times, then let it rise to the surface....and watch the boiling action!.....also the shad are going crazy! this might be why the channels are feeding on the top...I saw 1000-1500 little shad today.....there were schools EVERYWHERE...and they all were getting demolished

6. stilesp

stilesp Fishin Alum

When the cicadas where out I was catching about 6 catfish to every 1 bass on tiny torpedos at alum. I also got some SUMO carp. Not my fish but still fun to catch on a spinning rig.

7. I once new i guy that fished our lake with a fly rod and i saw him bring back a few channels. I also saw him catch a redhorse sucker once too, i was shocked

8. i caught one last night on a floating long a bomber.

9. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

If you want stories of flatheads on artificials and light gear you should contact Jim Corie ;)

He usually gets a flathead or 2 every year jigging for 'eyes'