close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Channel Cats at Tanners

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Carpn, May 23, 2004.

1. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Hey all,
    Went to tanners today to mess around since it was such a nice day. As I was heading out towards the river I saw some stuff busting Cicadas on the surface along the right bank...The only thing i had with me that remotely matched the size and color of the locusts was a little rebel crawdad crankbait...First cast with it I caught a channel cat...Hmmm....I ended up messing around there for awhile catching cats....Nothin big...they all ran 1-4# but it was fun on a light action spinning rod and there were a bunch. I found myself wishing I had a fly rod and a hair bug as i watched channel cats sucking down cicadas.

2. thanks for the info JAKE . can you send me some directions to tanners creek , frrom our neck of the woods.

3. I saw the same thing hapening on Bryants Creek and had one of my most fun days fishing on the Ohio River. I just hooked a cicada with small hook, that keep them on top and caught many channels up to 8 LBS on top water. Will be 17 years before cats are seen doing this again.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I caught a channelcat on a spoon last Sat night too, before the cicadas emerged.