Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trapped some Creek jobs and at the same time found a couple small catfish in the minnow trap as well probably about four or five inches. I released them back to the creek but I'm thinking maybe I should put a few in our pond. The pond is a little bit over half of an acre in size it has a decent bass population a lot of bluegill pumpkin seeds a few crappie and a lot of perch I do not believe there are any catfish in there at least I have not caught one in the last 10 years.
I don't think a few would be a problem but I don't want a few to turn into too many in years to come.
Does anyone have any experience stocking catfish in ponds.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok will do
I trapped some Creek jobs and at the same time found a couple small catfish in the minnow trap as well probably about four or five inches. I released them back to the creek but I'm thinking maybe I should put a few in our pond. The pond is a little bit over half of an acre in size it has a decent bass population a lot of bluegill pumpkin seeds a few crappie and a lot of perch I do not believe there are any catfish in there at least I have not caught one in the last 10 years.
I don't think a few would be a problem but I don't want a few to turn into too many in years to come.
Does anyone have any experience stocking catfish in ponds.
They’re cheap at fish farms, I think we got ours at 7-8 inches for 1$ a piece.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am looking for some bigger ones for my pond. Where did you get yours? Thank you
Freshwater farms of Ohio, most places don’t stock over 9 inches. Catfish grow very fast, we put them in 3 years ago and they’re around 20-22 inches. I am not completely sure about the legality of catching a fish from public water and putting in private water? I know public to public is illegal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.