close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changing gear lube, how often???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dodgeboy75, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I have a 1984 Evinrude 15hp that was serviced back in february and didn't know how often to change the lower gear case lube. Should I go by the amount of time I have ran it or go by how many tanks of gas it has gone through. Any suggestions?

2. If you use the motor alot try
    every 100 hrs. of use,if not
    every spring before boating
    season starts and you should
    be fine.

Gene

3. change in the fall or when done for the season...unless stored in a HEATED garage...if any water is in there through the winter it WILL freeze and ruin the lower unit

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

ive changed mine once this season and im doing it again in july. i beleive water is the bad guy in the lower unit. the more often i change it the less of a chance that bad guy can do any damage. no seals are water proof. it cost me $8.00 for the lube and 15 mintues to do it. i think thats a small price to pay for the piece of mind i get 10 miles out. also if there is water in my lower unit i will catch it before it does and damage(i hope). some say its overkill, but it only 8 bucks every couple of months.

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I'm with EZ Bite. Eight bucks twice a season isn't much to ask after spending thousands of dollars on a motor.

6. Thanks for the suggestions, I was going to change it a couple of times becasue that little motor works pretty hard pushing around 1000lbs.

7. ovlo

ovlo

1+ its easy and cheep and motors are pricy

8. Another +1 here