Changing a trailer light bulb

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by jpackr, Apr 23, 2008.

1. After taking off the red lense cover, I noticed the entire electrical unit is sealed in a clear plastic "bubble" obviously to keep the water out. My question is there a trick to get this plastic bubble off so I can change the bulb? I tried to find a slot to insert a screwdriver with no luck. I don't want to force it and break it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I don't think they're (bulb) meant to be replace. You have to replace the entire assembly. And yes, you're correct, they are waterproof and if you open it...chances are you will have to keep replacing the bulb. Older trailers required the trailer lights be disconnected since the lights were not sealed.

3. Thanks Hook n Book for the info. Guess it would be a good time to switch over to the LED lights.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you will never look back when you get the LED's this is the 3rd year and they have always worked well. just clean the ground wire once a year for insurance.

5. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

No need to change to LED's. What you have are sealed bulb unit, they are a good design. They are made that way so they can be submerged in water and not blow out. I have had my boat/ trailer for 13 years and have only had to replace one sealed unit in all that time from a bulb going out