Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I'm the only one to have noticed that many times, when you tie on a new lure or even just change out a soft plastic for a new identical one, a lot of time you catch a fish immediately....only to cast it back out and re-enter a slow period. Change it up again, catch another fish right away, then nothing. I've always had a feeling that the hooked fish put out some kind of scent on the lure that repelled other fish for some period of time. Well, I ran across this video today and I think it somewhat supports my theory. See what you think....
http://news.discovery.com/videos/animals-sea-lampreys-flee-death-scent.html

·
Will Yak For Food
2,947 Posts
This could be a good arguement for fish atractants masking any negative scents.--Tim............................................................................................................................................................. Nose Human Common chimpanzee Primate Black-and-white

Attachments

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
But what about the times i have caught fish after fish on one lure?
Exactly....and WOW....guess what? SCENTS WORK! I heard that when a fish hits a lure it triggers the other fish to go into a feeding period

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
But what about the times i have caught fish after fish on one lure?
Exactly! Many times I've had one lure outproduce the others in a trolling spread 7-10:1. It may be the difference between fishing a small spot in a small area versus trolling a big lake where the same fish aren't seeing the same lure twice? For an example, on one hand, I have caught nearly half a 24 fish limit on one harness in a morning. On the other hand, I've "bailed dolphin" (MahiMahi), where a whole school is swimming around the boat, and a couple people cast the same type lure and a few fish are caught, but then the dolphin will not then touch that lure. Once you switch to something else they hit that new one till the fish get wary of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts