close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Change clocks and batteries in smoke detectors this weekend.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Row v. Wade, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Not to jump on the soapbox but we had an early morning house fire last November due to a poorly made fireplace. (no, I didn't make it)
    Everyone made it to safety including our Lab. Safe to say, without working smoke detectors, the outcome would have been drastically different.
    I slept downstairs in the rec room that night to keep the fireplace fed. We had lost electricity the night before due to a pretty strong storm.
    5:15 am, the downstairs detector went off. It was 8 feet from my head and I never heard it. I actually heard the upstairs detector go off. My wife woke up at the same time I did. She yelled down and asked if I was ok. I told here that the house was indeed, on fire. My wife got our 2 children out, the dog followed.
    It's basic but for those who don't know, smoke actually puts you into a deeper sleep, that's when you "get dead".
    Ok, I am now off the soapbox.

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

R. vs W.
    Good info and reminder! People can't hear this enough.
    Better to err on the side of caution rather than neglect.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

thanks...everyone has mistakes glad everything was ok though