close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Champion Plugs. Junk Then, Junk Now.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spike, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Got my new steering cable, and then the new ignition switch that broke ten minutes after the steering repair.

Took her out last weekend, right after some brand spankin' new Champion spark plugs, same as the eight year old ones I took out. All gapped and ready.

Got her out on the fork and, in the driving rain of coarse, it ran like total garbage. I limped it back in and loaded her up not knowing what was wrong with it. It is thirty years old.

Got up today and just figured I'd try putting the old ones in just for laughs, and it's back to running like brand new. Had a great day on the fork today.

I tried champions twenty years ago in my first car and they were junk, and nothing has changed. But I listened to the "experts" and now I need some advice on some plugs that don't suck.

Thanks!
    -Spike

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Not sure, I was under the impression the Champion marine plugs were good.
    I've heard A/C Delco plugs are better. I've been told to stay away from the splitfire as the heat range is not really accurate & they have burnt holes in pistons.
    Good topic, I want to know what lakeraider recommends.....that's a guy who knows motas.

3. That's what I was told too. That's why I bought champion marine plugs. Never again. I'd like to hear what the motor guru's here prefer. Glad plugs are cheap. :)

4. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Not sure about marine plugs but I have always understood that champion are junk. NGK are good plugs as well as AC Delco. Glad everything worked out for ya though.

Bill

5. Denso Iridum

not sure if they make marine plugs though

alot of drag racers i know running them

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

like the V6s on bass boats but I had always run Champs in my smaller motors and they worked fine.

I guess it all depends on other issues. Don't really know. I'm interested in Raider's opinion too. It seems that proper heat range and reach should be the main issues. Design may impact the performance but that much?

Don't know.

UFM82

7. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I run champions in my 70 hp johnrude, have'nt changed them in 5 years :eek: but it still runs good, the plugs are wore but still firing. The only time my engine ever ran bad is when I tried some split fires?

8. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I have Champion plugs in my motor and let me say that as soon as I can go get some Ngk's , those POS plugs are going in the trash ! My motor seems to have lost hp and seems to stall out when Ideling . I know they are gapped right and everything , I just think they are junk !

9. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

NGK - get them at autozone. My Honda loves NGK's.

10. Nothing but ngk for me!

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

NGK--- enough said!

12. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

You are correct...Champions have always been junk and still are.
    NGK..great plug.
    If you can find them Autolite makes a damn good marine plug.
    I have seen numerous cases of new Champions actually making an engine run worse.
    They about have the market cornered on the lawnmower plugs though.
    I dont see how they keep it.

13. NGK. Never had one fail when I had my dragster. I changed them once a year and didn't really need to then. Alcohol injected BBC.

14. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I wouldn't run anything except NGK.