Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing some public ponds that rarley get stocked (if any). Last sunday after the storms came through, it was super nice out but the creeks around my house where to high for me. So stating fishing some retention ponds in business parks and apartment complexes, in the groveport and canal winchester areas. I have acually caught some decenct lm bass. Sunday all my fish came where cool water was comeing into ponds through pipes. in one area i caught 4 fish on 4 cosecetive casts. These ponds are pretty featureless, so i just walk and fan cast with a small 4 inch texas rigged power worm. and a sassy shad with a small jig head on my ul. The sassy shad has been the better of the two.
It is really rewarding catching fish out of these ponds, cause personly i havent seen anyone catching anything at all. Most days i have been able to land 4-6 fish per a trip around each pond. This weekend im going to hit em up at night with some topwater and larger baits looking for some more quality fish. Any suggestoins for the bigger fish?????
Bobby

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Large 8" rubber worm or salamander with,I use 1-2 small split-shots about 10-12 " inches in front of bait. Worked slow along the bottom.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I fish those types of ponds too on occasion. I usually start with a spinnerbait, white or chartruese or combo because you can really cover water with them. Casting parallel to the bank a few feet in front is my best pattern. For bigguns id try a bigger soft plastic like a Magnum fluke with #5 wide gap hook. You can walk the dog on the surface or let sink. Remember if ur not getting hits on the fluke its because ur working it too fast and it'll produce. I'm partial to white so I can see it in the water and hence see the fish take it. Any green or smoke is good too. Also can't go wrong with wacky rig senko for numbers. Those 3 are all u need for any pond imo.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've been fishing ponds lately and my best luck has been with super zook's (I really like topwater). I fishing mainly in the evening until it gets dark. I've also seen the most action where water flows in.

I've haven't been doing very well with worm rigs, must be how I use them. Most ponds have algae and I spend most of the time picking it off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to have a lot of luck fishing ponds using "The Worm". It's a pre-rigged 3 hook worm they sell at walmart. I'd just put a small split shot on and throw it out and retrieve. Never used them anywhere else except in ponds.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! I got 7 yesterday all on 4 inch power worm texas rigged.
Pigsticker, I do the same thing you do with a spinnerbait only i use a lipless crank.
Theres a few large schools of minnows in a couple of these ponds, im gonna try and figure out what they are, cause they dont look like shad. Then match em up with some lures. Oh well this will keep me going till the fall saugeye shore bite heats up!
Bobby

·
Registered
140 Posts
just wondering about these type's of ponds.. most are man made being in or around apartments or business ...so my question is how the fish get there are they put there by local residents that catch them from other body's of water or maybe from birds who just happen to eat some fish or eggs and transport them ? anyone have an idea

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ducks and snapping turtles transport a lot of fertile eggs to the best of my knolage. moving from pond to pond. nature has it way of taking care of these things. plus i,ed say people help a lot.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brown, im not 100 percent sure, but i think these places have to stock the ponds initially to keep mosquitos and bugs under control. I could be wrong though. But i have never been to one of these ponds and not seen fish of some kind.
Bobby
Oh and of coarse other animals transporting eggs helps out to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts