Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I hate to post reports after seeing posts with bad ones. We all know that no matter how good we are sometimes it just isnt happeneing for some of us. As a guy fishing for a living, there are days that I cant get it going. Sometimes it can be as simple as the angle in which are rods are held and sometimes it rocket science...it seems. Hey, sunday I was out-fished (7 fish to my one) by a 9 year old little girl. What ever she was doing it worked. You know its a bad day as a full time angler when you teach child how to do it and an hour later your watching her and doing what she is doing :eek: , it never suprises me when a child is teaching me something. Maybe we should be paying more attention!

I see several reports on here that had bad results. It was definately a tough bite for anglers that were on the late morning and afternoon bites. Once the wind blew hard in the afternoon, it turned into work.

Fishing was fast and furious when it came to sunrise bites Thurs-Sunday.
The hot bites we had out front last week that lasted all day were over if you slept in this weekend. The bites consisted of jigs being presented at sunrise. The bites were fast until traffic picked up and the sun was high. We left the dock in the dark for fast bites. Afternoon bites were extremely tough but we managed limits for 6 people every day but sunday and most got limits.

Heres the deal. The bite has seen lots of pressure. All it takes is a change in wind direction and wind speed to move those fish and many anglers did not change their programs to accomodate the fish. Friday we busted all our fish (7 People ) in 3 hours. We were done by 10am. Saturday was tougher, early morning was fast and then the wind changed. We got all our fish through the day, by 3pm, but we moved 10 times. Pop a fish and move type of day. Packs of boats never moved. Sunday was very tough. We got all of them but 2 because I made the decision too late to change the program and move.

The hot bite sunday came from the bay down off Toledo in 7 feet of water. Anglers were finished in a couple hours. The wind blew hard every afternoon this weekend so morning bites were best. Another deal I want to mention is the drift speed. With a 30' boat I was makeing 3 drifts to one small boat drift. I told a few to pull in the drift bags and they caught more fish. They are becoming more agressive and we havnt used a drift bag yet this year.
When the bite is cold it takes a change in the program every minute. If your not on fish you have got to move to get to them, like I said...we moved 10 times.

Its nice to see the small boaters have the opportunity to get on the lake for hot bites this time of year. When I was a small boater, this was the only time I could do it and feel safe. There are days that I get my butt kicked! Sunday was hard to go to the dock and not have all of my fish when I could have made the decision early to move and didnt.

I created my own obstacle and didnt change my program. Do not creat your own obstacles anglers. We have enough on the lake without making our days even harder our selves. We still had a good time, my customers were still happy but would have been happier. Days like that I feel as if I failed them, but thats fishing. It happens to the best of us on occassion. When the bite is tough, we have got to make things happen. Moving is one, but think outside the box so to speak. Change change change.

I love to catch fish and its very rewarding to do it for a living, but I can honestly say that to have the 9 year old little girl teach me this weekend was even more rewarding. The smile on her face was evident that fishing had an impact on the young girls life. Now thats rewarding!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Troy good post this 37 year old plans on scheduling a trip, and teaching you a few tips and i'll waive my fee!!!!!lol :eek: :D Fiashcrazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy
If theres any left again good post Capen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is awesome to see a guy who makes his living share very valuable insight with us . It is greatly appreciated Capt. Troy. You are a true sportsman who holds alot of respect from other true sportsmen. Thank you for the awesome post!

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,405 Posts
Troy. that just shows you are a good teacher! We wonder about being a good fisherman though :D Great story. Gotta love it when you see a child having that much fun. That's something she'll remember for a long time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the reply. I question the ability myself sometimes of my angling skill, especially jig presentations!
The father of the little girl shared a couple pics so I will share it will all of you! Her smile says it all although I think she still was in shock and didnt realize how well she done untill a couple days ago. She asked for my autograph, which most kids do in seminars but on the boat is not common! I had her sign my hat...and then gave it to her for show and tell at school. SWEET!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts