Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the chag? Haven't been out in weeks. I saw the cfps is at 80. Taking the girlfriend out river fishing for her first time and I dont want her to get skunked. I'm going to throw the fly but was wondering what I should set her up with on the spinning gear?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been catching decent catfish the last few weeks...but the last 2 times I went out I caught a snapper and a softshell turtle, and nothing else.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The smallie fishing on the chagrin and all our tribs is in fire right now. Just make sure you're using light line, making long casts, not splashing around like a sasquatch spooking them and hit the heads of pools with natural or translucent colored baits and you'll get plenty. Went Sunday with a buddy and we got about 50 between the two of us in 5 hours of fishing. With the water so low and the bait supply crested they'll hit any well presented bait lure in the vicinity, so if you're not catching them keep moving til you find them

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you go in the morning or afternoon? I usually go after work, around 6:30/7 and fish until it starts getting dark. What kind of baits are you using? Most of the time I'm throwing spinners, cranks, and a few topwaters. Haven't really had luck fishing rivers with soft plastics, the current just takes it downstream away from the pool I toss it into. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong...this is only my 2nd summer fishing rivers (When I lived in MI all I fished were lakes).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@kapposgd, were you guys fishing towards the mouth of the river? I normally fish the north reservation all the way upstream to chagrin falls but have never even seen numbers like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think my personal best from the Chagrin was 10 fish. Spent about 4 hours there. Mostly smaller catfish and a few puny smallies. That was from the N. Reservation too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No, my phone got messed up last month and I didn't have your number saved to my SIM card.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah if youre not seeing double digit days about every time you go out youre definitely doing something wrong, especially this time of year when the water levels are at their lowest. Check out the post i made about lake run smallies roughly a year ago, the areas smallies like to hang out in are the same now as in spring - eliminating unproductive water with your eyes is the most important skill you can have when fishing small rivers imo. I would guess that youre not fishing productive water because you should be catching more fish using those lures...that said soft plastics are definitely the way to go - even more so if youre fishing pressured water. Try to get off the beaten trail where the fish have seen it all and youll get better results. A surefire way to catch em anywhere is to match the hatch. Lift up some rocks and take a good look at the color of the craws and find some soft plastic craws that match that color. My favs are the yum crawbugs in carolina pumpkin, if you can find a more realistic imitation of the craws in our rivers i wanna know about it. Cant go wrong with tube jigs either, just retrieve them the same way an actual craw would move along the bottom and youll get bites.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You must have some special spots in the Chagrin at the reservation. I've never heard of anyone catching more than 5 or 6 fish in a day there, at least from people I've talked to. I've used olive colored tubes on a tube jig several times and haven't gotten anything on that. I go to 2 or 3 different spots that I know hold fish (slower flowing, deeper water, it's pretty easy to to scan the shallower water with polarized glasses and just keep walking). Was actually thinking of going today after work, since it'll probably be the last time I get a chance to fish for 2 weeks or so (moving), but I'm pretty sure the rain is going to make it unfishable/unwadeable.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You won't find very many in slow flowing deep water, yes you can catch a few here or there but those spots are generally very unproductive. The reason slow deep water isn't good during summer months is because its not conducive to the nature of small mouth bass and the way they interact with bait fish in a river environment. Predator and prey are very well balanced, and catching food isn't an easy task for a small mouth. I call the best areas funnel areas, places in the river that neck down funneling food towards smallies while they take advantage of disoriented prey on the current. And deeper areas often have soft bottoms, if you're not fishing near rocks don't even throw a line in. Experiment with baits and colors, smallies can be incredibly discerning...I had an outing on a river about a month ago where I had one fish through 2 hours. After changing more baits and colors than I can count I found what they wanted and got 25 in the next hour and a half. They're in there I assure you, I can go anywhere on that river and easily getinto double digits nine times out of 10 in good conditions. And don't rule out shallow water, smallies (big ones too), will lie in very shallow water

·
Registered
225 Posts
By "slow and deep" I meant towards the areas at the end of riffles/runs of fast water. Not so much the barely moving 6-7' water. Should've worded that better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just looked at the crawbug in the Carolina Pumpkin color. I dunno if the crayfish vary in color in the Chagrin, but I've caught 2 or 3 by hand and this is what they looked like (more of a darker brown or rust colored versus the darker green). BUt I'll ahve to go grab a pack and try em out instead of the usual tubes I use.Do you Texas rig em, or use a jighead type hook?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Chagrin has been absolutely on fire everywhere and anywhere. But then again with the cooler temps and rain we've had all summer long it has been consistently on fire, its just a matter of getting out there and finding where they are hiding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts